Progam exceeds machine minimum on axis Y?

More
17 Jan 2016 20:41 #68615 by spinnaker
I am brand new to CNC and Linux CNC. I am slowly trying to wrap my head around all of this. I did some searching and know this question has been asked a million times. In fact there are so many posts it is hard to weed out the information.

Can someone please explain in simple terms what causes this and how to set up my machine to avoid it?

In this case my machine has plenty of Y axis but I still get the error. Did I setup my home position incorrectly? Or point me to something that explains it in fairly simple terms?

I do see how to fix it by setting touch off but I am just guessing as to the value and I wonder if it is the best way to do it in the first place.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2016 21:06 #68617 by Paul
I suspect a few things could be causing this. If it helps, I home my machine and then I center my tool in the lower left corner of the material to cut (if I was above the table looking down on it) and then touchoff. I touchoff before each job after centering over the lower left.

You have to be within the soft limits of your configuration.

HTH
Paul

More
17 Jan 2016 21:38 - 17 Jan 2016 21:39 #68621 by Rick G
Might want to look here...
gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/g-code/mill02.html
gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/g-code/index.html

and
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode/coordinates.html

No good short answer, but when you home your machine it is homed in the machine coordinate system G53.
But you do not normally work in the G53 system.
G54 is the default, so after you home your machine jog to where the work piece actually is and "touch off" this will set the coordinate system for the actual work you want to do.

Rick G
Last edit: 17 Jan 2016 21:39 by Rick G.

More
17 Jan 2016 22:22 #68626 by spinnaker

I suspect a few things could be causing this. If it helps, I home my machine and then I center my tool in the lower left corner of the material to cut (if I was above the table looking down on it) and then touchoff. I touchoff before each job after centering over the lower left.

You have to be within the soft limits of your configuration.

HTH
Paul

I changed nothing. Rebooted my PC, got back into LinuxCNC and it worked with no issues. I am going to read up on the links Rick provided below. to see if I can figure it out.

When you touch off, do you touch off at zero?

Should I be at home when I touch off?

How are soft limits set? Is this the table limits in stepconfig?

More
17 Jan 2016 22:30 #68628 by spinnaker

Might want to look here...
gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/g-code/mill02.html
gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/g-code/index.html

and
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode/coordinates.html

No good short answer, but when you home your machine it is homed in the machine coordinate system G53.
But you do not normally work in the G53 system.
G54 is the default, so after you home your machine jog to where the work piece actually is and "touch off" this will set the coordinate system for the actual work you want to do.

Rick G

So my home position is not where my tool is going to start routing? When I "touch off" to where my material is located. do I set zero for coordinate relative to work piece? Do I keep G54 coordinate?

More
17 Jan 2016 23:17 #68631 by Paul
Yeah - Check out those links from Rick.

I wonder what would happen if you re-homed the machine if this ever comes up again. It doesn't address the issue directly, but it may allow you to go on without rebooting the computer. I suspect this has to do with a relative coordinate position.

Almost all times when I touch off, I set it to zero. Exceptions happen when I am trying to use up material and am close to the edge of the positive side of the job. I may rapid the the jobs extreme positive position and touch off at a value greater than the job's maximum coordinate. I don't know if that made sense, so disregard it for now, at least.

You most normally won't be at the machines home position when you touch off. I could be, but usually I am not. When you home, that is a location that can be located by homing again if the spindle becomes inaccurate with it's current position. Touching off is kind of a temporary setting used for the current job. If touch off at zero, it could be kind of a job home position as opposed to a machine home position.

Soft limits are setup in the configuration's .ini file under each axis settings using "MIN_LIMIT" and "MAX_LIMIT" settings.

HTH

More
17 Jan 2016 23:32 #68632 by Rick G

So my home position is not where my tool is going to start routing? When I "touch off" to where my material is located. do I set zero for coordinate relative to work piece? Do I keep G54 coordinate?

O.K. say you want to mill a 4" square. the bottom left corner at X0 Y0 the upper right at X4Y4.
Place your material on the machine and jog the machine to where you would like the bottom left corner of the square to be.
Touch off there as X0 Y0.
On a mill I normally set X0 Y0 as the lower left corner.

Rick G

More
18 Jan 2016 18:36 #68709 by andypugh

Can someone please explain in simple terms what causes this and how to set up my machine to avoid it?

Your machine probably has the axis positions running from 0 to max limit on each axis. Typically home is at zero and is at one end.
This is the machine absolute coordinate system. You almost never work in this coordinate system.

The CNC system holds a set of 9 offsets from this machine coordinate system called the "working coordinate systems". You select these in G-code with the commands G54, G55, G56 and so on. So, the coordinate systems are often known by those names.

The G-code you run will not be in the machine coordinate system. Very often, for example, the G-code origin is the middle of an existing hole feature that can be probed. Or the bottom left-hand corner of the material, or a point on the fixture.

When you "touch-off" You are saying "In the context of this G-code program, the tool is now at an X (Y, Z) position we are calling 0"(or any other number).

The system then calculates an offset for the G54 offset array that makes that true, and you will see the position display update and the preview will move. In the Axis preview there is a little Triad that shows the origin of the G-code program.

The G-code origin is almost always somewhere inside the workpiece. The absolute machine origin generally can't be.

By default you will be in the G54 coordinate system. In years of CNC hobbying I don't think I have used any other.

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds