Brakes.

More
27 Jan 2016 21:23 #69168 by jeffie-3
Brakes. was created by jeffie-3
Over time i have picked up a few servo motors. All in hopes of repairing a mill I have. I have noticed some have brakes and some don't. Does the Linux CNC support a brake on the servo? Is it something needed?

Thanks,

Jeff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2016 21:37 - 27 Jan 2016 21:37 #69169 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Brakes.
Brakes are often needed for the Z Axis of VMCs so the
Z axis doesn't coast down into the table at power off/servo disable
Last edit: 27 Jan 2016 21:37 by PCW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeffie-3

More
27 Jan 2016 21:39 #69170 by jtc
Replied by jtc on topic Brakes.

Over time i have picked up a few servo motors. All in hopes of repairing a mill I have. I have noticed some have brakes and some don't. Does the Linux CNC support a brake on the servo? Is it something needed?

Thanks,

Jeff

You can use the signal "machine-is-enabled" to release the servo brake. But normally the brake is connected to the servo drive, when the drive is enabled it releases the brake.

More
28 Jan 2016 18:56 #69208 by jeffie-3
Replied by jeffie-3 on topic Brakes.
The couple of motors I have. Have separate wires coming off the brake.

More
29 Jan 2016 14:41 #69233 by jeffie-3
Replied by jeffie-3 on topic Brakes.

Thanks,

Jeff

You can use the signal "machine-is-enabled" to release the servo brake. But normally the brake is connected to the servo drive, when the drive is enabled it releases the brake.

So the brakes only engage when the machine is "Parked" and or turned off? So if I am making a 4 inch cut on the X axis. The Y and Z are held by the motor holding position and not by engaging the brake?

More
29 Jan 2016 21:12 #69253 by jtc
Replied by jtc on topic Brakes.

Thanks,

Jeff

So the brakes only engage when the machine is "Parked" and or turned off? So if I am making a 4 inch cut on the X axis. The Y and Z are held by the motor holding position and not by engaging the brake?

This is the typical situation, so yes.

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds