linuxcnc probotix and THCsd

More
28 Jan 2016 00:37 #69180 by sawdust
Afternoon everyone,

I am new to this, I was given some parts and have built a cnc plasma table. Started out with some Probotix cards and stepper motors. And a computer with emc2 in it. I got it all running with considerable help from the friend that gave me the parts. He bought other stuff and is building a cnc router, also Linux.

My problem is the Proma SD THC that I have. It runs when it should not and won't when it should.
There is almost nothing written about the SD, lots about the 150.
In my notes I am using the labels on the THC end. So the Dir in actually comes from the breakout board out.
Here is a description of what it does. With no power to the thc the signal should run right through and the table should run as normal. However x and y both work z never moves.
Now power up the thc (12v battery for clean power). The THC blinks and flashes as advertised, the Z axis immediately starts down and will not stop until I unplug the 12v or the driver computer. The Z axis motor is noisy.
I pulled the wires out of the THC and put the Dir in/out together and the Step in/out together. Table runs fine, nice and quiet all three axis.
Leaving step tied through I separated and tested Dir for polarity. I only have an analogue meter. The Dir out has 5 volts positive sitting even whith-out emc being triggered. When I trigger emc to cut then that 5 volts comes and goes, the Z axis operates properly. There was never any negative deflection.
I wired the Dir in/out back together and separated the Step, I got 4.7v ish which drops to 4.3 ish when the z is activated. The z axis did not move when I had the volt meter inline.

Thank you to everyone. In advance.
David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2016 00:47 #69181 by BigJohnT
One option is to ditch the THC for something that works like the Mesa THCAD. I have a plasma table that I built and runs that and the Mesa 5i25 7i76 combo.

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: sawdust

More
02 Feb 2016 13:50 #69437 by andypugh
Some others have used Proma THCs. From what I can gather their only bad part is the price.

Search the forum for "Proma" and you might get somewhere.

More
06 Feb 2016 01:30 #69685 by tommylight
You need to connect the - of the thc power supply to the gnd or ground on the break out boards output, otherwise it will not work.
That is all you need to make it work, and of course fine tune the settings on the thc sd for speed and direction if necessary. I did install one SD and it works without a hitch, but i do like to have controll from the computer so i tend to use the 150 and some of my own design (thc that is).
Regards,
Tom

More
06 Feb 2016 03:07 #69688 by sawdust
Replied by sawdust on topic linuxcnc probotix and THCsd
Thank you both! We were discovering that there needs to be a single source of power and very good grounds. Still puttering with it and thinking that the computer does not realize there may have been z axis changes when the cut is finished. Thinking it needs a rezero switch each time from something unmoving like the gantry.

david

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds