SSR for spindle on PP pin 14

More
02 Feb 2016 13:10 #69433 by dhanger
Hi folks-
I've had a basic 3 axis router working for a couple years now, but I've hit a snag that I can't figure out. So far the only thing I've added beyond a plain vanilla config is a home/limit switch for each axis, using pins 10-12 of the parallel port for inputs. Now I want to set up a SSR to control the router motor by Gcode, and I've chosen pin 14 as an output for the SSR and added the command to HAL:

net spindle-enable motion.spindle-on => parport.0.pin-14-out

Now within the LInuxCNC environment this works perfectly fine; I leave the router motor switch on, and the spindle turns on and off as expected with M03 and M05, as well as the software switch on the manual page. However, outside of LinuxCNC, when booting up and shutting down the PC, pin 14 goes high and enables the SSR, so I can't leave the router switch on at those times in order to prevent the motor running outside of LinuxCNC.

I know this is a common config, but I haven't been able to find any useful info on how to prevent the pin going high, or even if it's possible. I'm wondering if the parallel port may be damaged; I haven't tried the other output pins that are available yet, but I'd like to get a little more insight into what I may be doing wrong, if so.

Thanks,
Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Feb 2016 13:31 #69436 by andypugh
Pin 14 is hardware-inverted
retired.beyondlogic.org/spp/parallel.htm

LinuxCNC knows this, and re-inverts in software.
You could try finding an output that is not hardware-inverted.

However, hardware-inversion might only be part of the puzzle. It might be simplest to check all outputs with a multimeter.

More
02 Feb 2016 14:58 #69451 by dhanger
So according to the chart at the top, pins 14,16, and 17 can be used as outputs (which corresponds with the BOB I'm using), and they all have the 'n' prefix meaning active low, but 14 and 17 are hardware inverted, so they are high. The logical conclusion to me, at least to keep it simple, would be to try pin 16, which is not inverted. Sound right? I'll set it up on pin 16 later today to see how that works.

Thanks.

Time to create page: 0.213 seconds