Good half lenght video card to work with Linuxcnc

More
09 Feb 2016 01:03 #69805 by Razor_keen
I need to find a good half length video card to work with linuxcnc. Anything that anyone has tested I'm willing to try. The goal is to get away from my computers onboard video chip, to help with latency. Any suggestions is appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2016 03:21 - 09 Feb 2016 03:22 #69815 by Todd Zuercher
Just curious what chip/board your using that is causing so much trouble. I've never had to resort to using a separate video card, but I've only ever messed about with a half dozen installations.
Last edit: 09 Feb 2016 03:22 by Todd Zuercher.

More
09 Feb 2016 05:21 #69821 by Razor_keen
Nvidia quadro 145m

More
09 Feb 2016 11:48 #69834 by andypugh

The goal is to get away from my computers onboard video chip, to help with latency. .

It might not help. Lots of people are getting decent latency with onboard video nowadays. In fact I have never used separate video.

More
09 Feb 2016 11:55 #69835 by cncbasher
keep away from Nvidia based cards , and you'll be fine , the main problem is not using the proprietary nvidia drivers
and stick with the open source ones , even with onboard graphics if they use nvidia etc .

More
09 Feb 2016 13:17 #69841 by Razor_keen
The computer is about 9 years old, and is a laptop. I'm getting decent latency now, but suffer a few glitches using the open source software that may potentially crash my work price.
I have a docking station that will allow me to use half length pci cards.
If I'm hearing you guys right, pretty much anything not nvidia is OK. There are other considerations such as the cache size of the gpu. Linuxcnc doesn't take much to run, but does anyone have any thoughts on this?

More
09 Feb 2016 15:31 #69853 by PCW
A different video system may help, but latency issues ( millisecond sized latency spikes )
with laptops tend to be power management related and are often not fixable.

More
09 Feb 2016 17:24 #69864 by Razor_keen
I've taken care of the smi issues and others. This is my last step, I feel. Again, the open source drivers for the nvidia chipset have some minor issues that are holding me up. So if I get a an open source video card, it should fix the issue? I'm not familiar with video cards. Does anyone use a video card that is working well for them?

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds