Breakout boards

More
11 Feb 2016 21:46 #70011 by thor44
Breakout boards was created by thor44
I've been converting a manual mill to cnc and I'm using a c10 breakout board with a separate relay board to turn the spindle on and off.

I noticed when I turn the computer off the relay board activates the relay and turns the spindle on and stays on until the computer is turned on again.

Is there a way turn the computer off with out activating the relay board and turning on the spindle?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2016 22:19 #70014 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic Breakout boards
The best way would be to add a chargepump to the system, that way Linuxcnc has to be up and running to turn it on. (CNC4PC sells one and they have wiring instructions on their site for connecting it to the C10.)

But if you are less safety conscious you might be able to get by hooking your spindle control relay to a different output pin, one that is in the state you need when the computer is off. (pins 1,14,17 are hardware inverted and may give different results than others when turned off.)
But this isn't a guarantee of the pins state when Linuxcnc is not running.

More
11 Feb 2016 22:20 #70015 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Breakout boards
Is the relay normally closed?

JT

More
14 Feb 2016 15:59 #70116 by thor44
Replied by thor44 on topic Breakout boards
Sorry for the delay. The relay is wired to the no contacts and when the computer is on all is good whether Linuxcnc is running or not.

The charge pump sounds like the best way to go so I think I'll get one ordered today.

Thanks.

More
14 Feb 2016 16:23 #70120 by JohnK43
Replied by JohnK43 on topic Breakout boards
Do you have a manual switch in the motor circuit so you can be sure that the spindle cannot run while you are changing cutters
or the like? I have one in mine.
l

More
14 Feb 2016 16:28 #70121 by thor44
Replied by thor44 on topic Breakout boards
I don't but I should it would be a bad day if the spindle turned on during a tool change.

Thanks for the idea.

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds