LinuxCNC with MTConnect

More
13 Feb 2016 00:16 #70050 by AtinA
Hi all!

I am working on a project where I need to connect LinuxCNC with MTConnect. I was able to build the agent with the help of the documentation on mtcup.org on my BeagleBone running linux. The beaglebone is running machinekit, which as far as I know is a fork of linuxCNC.

I found an adapter online here for emc: github.com/athulan/adapter

However, I have the following questions/problems/issues:

I tried the "make" command after navigating to the folder containing the adapter for EMC in my Beaglebone and it threw a "fatal error" saying a file called rcs.hh was missing. Can anyone help out with this? Is it even possible to run MTConnect on machinekit/linuxCNC?

I am not a programmer ,unfortunately. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot for your time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2016 12:03 #70105 by comjon
Replied by comjon on topic LinuxCNC with MTConnect
AtinA,

I am actively working on an MTConnect implementation for LinuxCNC. The C# and Python development on github are most active and therefore you might consider any other code set as a non maintaoned template to be improved upon with your own code.

I recommend you begin by determining what you want to measure. For me, I simply want to present machine state (running, stopped) through a browser. Although this seems simple, it is a concrete, finite goal and places boundaries around the amount of code must write.

I have been a programmer for 15 years and always rely on the tools available to simplify my work. Thus far my implementation relies on Machinery Science's Rockhopper webserver on the box controlling my mill, the MTConnect agent on my internet facing webserver. When I install my adapter on the controller box it will communicate with the agent on the web box by port forwarding. Rockhopper provides some documentation for development in Python, which seems to be the best bet as a basis to further work from to create an adapter.

Keep posting and let's share success stories.

Commander Jones

More
20 Apr 2016 13:24 #73645 by comjon
Replied by comjon on topic LinuxCNC with MTConnect
Atin,

I tried several IDEs, and have ended up working in Eclipse. The integration of Python was easy and the documentation online for Eclipse/Python is good. Is a Python option available ?

Don't know if you are experiencing the same issue as earlier, but it sounds as though the source code for your BeagleBone project is not 'build ready'.

Have you determined whether you even need rcs.hh for your project ?

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds