CNClinux+motion controler+Servo-Any advice Please?

More
15 Feb 2016 16:09 #70167 by ba99297
Hi
My name is Vagelis and i am from Greece.
These days I am going to make some decisions about my cnc router electronic part

The machine that I am building will have
2.2 KW Water cooled spindle
1500mmX800mm working area
4 yaskawa servo motors (step-direction mode)
2 X SGMPH 400 Watt for x (the long) axis. That means Slaved axis, as two motors will move the gantry.
1X SMAH-400 Watt for y ( that moves z axis)
1XSGMAH-200 Watt for z

All these motors with yaskawa servo drivers
All motors have 2048 cpr with quadrature encoders and are rated at 3000 rpm. That means I will need 4*2048*3000/60=409600 pulses in order to keep using the accuracy that the motors offer. In other words I will need a motion controller that can produce at least 410mhz pulses. I have been told that the parallel port of a pc (even under linux or windows) can’t produce such high rate pulses in a reliable way. I have read that linux ( as a real time operating system) is far more better against windows but not as good to use parallel port in such high pulse rates( 400mhz+). Also I don’t want to use electronic gearing. The decision that I have to make is even go with

Solution A
Windows+ Mach3( or Mach 4) with motion controllers like
IP-CSmio-p
Ethenrnet smooth stepper ESS

OR

Solution B
CNClinux
With mesa motion controllers.

I have already made an internet search about solution A as the helpful people of www.mycncuk.com forum help me. The truth is that so far I didn’t find too much information about the linuxcnc solution for my machine. While looking the MESA electronics site I couldn’t understand what kind of controllers I will need.

Before I write down any question, I think that you must have in mind
1. I can install any version of linux in a pc but I am not an experienced user. That means I I am not familiar with console command line but if it will be necessary I will try and do the best I can
2. Last years I am a windows based system user
3. When I come against the electronics connection I will need support

Question 1
Is there any one who can tell me what mesa motion controller I will need for my machine?

Question 2
Is it easy with linux cnc and mesa motion controllers to have slaved motors ( for my x axis)?

Question 3
What will be the cost for the above solution

Question 4
Except the mesa motion controllers will I need some other equipments (BOB, Spindle speed controllers etc)

Question 5
Is there any other solution with linuxcnc, other than Mesa motion controllers

Thanks for your time

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Feb 2016 21:48 #70191 by emcPT
Hello. I sell Mesa in Europe so my advice can be suspicious.

I would recommend that you use a 7i76 + 5i25 or 6i25.
With this set up you will be able to step dir the drives (that you have) + output a analog signal to the spindle.

I think that there is a "gantry" configuration that deals exactly with the problem of controlling both X motors (I am not sure!).
If there is no "pre made" solution then the simplest way is to send the same step/direction to both X drives and in case that one enters in error (or with a very low following error) the system should completely stop.

There are other solutions, like Pico boards or the plain parallel port.

More
15 Feb 2016 21:56 #70193 by emcPT
I forgot to mention that 409600 is "just" 0.4096 MHz
The 7i76 is able to reach about 8 MHZ = 8 000 000 Hz

More
15 Feb 2016 23:01 #70199 by cmorley
the biggest problem with linuxcnc and 'slaved' axis motors is the homing/unracking problem.
If you need the homing process to 'unrack' the axis ( home each side ) there is no easy, direct way.
There are workarounds. or maybe this is not a problem with your machine.

Chris M

More
16 Feb 2016 07:11 #70225 by emcPT
I have made several machines "gantry style" but I always try to place the motor on the middle of the gantry. I normally use a larger motor mechanical attached to the gantry ends with a stiff shaft. This removes all the problems related with controlling two motors.
In your case the machine only have 800mm, so it should be very easy.

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds