Does LinuxCNC support drip feed of large programs?

More
22 Feb 2016 22:35 #70497 by RandyKopf
Does anyone know if the LinuxCNC operating system can support DRIP FEED of a large program rather than loading it into memory? I have a Beagle Black with 2.5 Megs of memory and want to send a larger file than it can accept into memory.
Any response is appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2016 23:08 #70498 by andypugh
I think you may be asking in the wrong place. Are you using LinuxCNC or Machinekit?

2.5M is an astonishingly big G-code programme.

More
22 Feb 2016 23:39 #70499 by jepler
Use the special directive in a gcode comment to stop producing the preview plot at a location of your choice. linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/gui/axis.html#axis:preview-control

More
22 Feb 2016 23:43 #70500 by RandyKopf
The CNC is definitely based on Machine-kit... I didn't realize there is a separate forum for that.
As for filesize agreed 2.5m is alot for most prismatic parts. But for 3D contours with lot's of detail it's not difficult to go way over that limit. And splitting up files is a pain. Thanks :-)

More
23 Feb 2016 09:03 #70505 by andypugh

The CNC is definitely based on Machine-kit... I didn't realize there is a separate forum for that.

The reason I mention it is that for LinuxCNC the answer would probably be "spend £20 on more memory" but as that isn't an option with the Beaglebone perhaps the Machinekit project have come up with a different solution.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds