Thread whirling

More
02 Mar 2016 19:37 #70927 by cahlfors
Thread whirling was created by cahlfors
I hate tapping!
Unfortunately, since I am using step motors, LinuxCNC will not be able to help me either. Or so I thought, until I came across this: www.directindustry.com/prod/dixi-polytoo...ct-32469-848505.html

Can anyone provide some insight to what it takes to whirl threads like this? :)

Thanks,
/Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2016 23:50 #70937 by sprintertrd
Replied by sprintertrd on topic Thread whirling
I have used this method once on my cnc mill along time ago for large diameter threads.

I cant remember the exact details but I think I just set software to do a helical cut at the correct thread pitch as the depth of cut.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cahlfors

More
03 Mar 2016 04:12 #70944 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Thread whirling
Why does step motors stop you from tapping?

Chris M

More
03 Mar 2016 07:35 #70949 by Dale Lusby
Replied by Dale Lusby on topic Thread whirling
I've always heard it referred to as thread milling. I use steppers and it works great. If you're not familiar with the concept it doesn't use a tap but rather the tooth profile and mills the thread instead of tapping. It uses a spiral move and advances at the pitch.

The easiest way I've found is to use a CAM software like Fusion360 which has a built in thread milling feature. Just program the sizes and pitch and it generates the code. Depending on if you're cutting outside or inside diameter threads determines if the whole being cut is the minor or major diameter of the thread.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cahlfors

More
03 Mar 2016 11:35 #70957 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Thread whirling
I think that the link is to a thread _milling_ tool.
Thread whirling is slightly different, it is used for external threads.
A tool rotates eccentrically to the workpiece with cutting teeth on the inside.

More
03 Mar 2016 20:28 #70988 by cahlfors
Replied by cahlfors on topic Thread whirling
Aha, so it is generated in the CAM software! Makes sense now that you say it. I guess that pushes me toward an investment in a more sophisticated CAM tool than Heeks or FreeCAD that I am currently using.

Why does step motors stop you from tapping?
Chris M

It has been said numerous times around here that tapping is for encoder based machines only.

Thanks for your responses! :)
/Chris

More
03 Mar 2016 20:42 #70990 by Dale Lusby
Replied by Dale Lusby on topic Thread whirling
Fusion360...free for the little guy and not too much investment if you're a larger outfit. Give it a shot. Top notch CAD/CAM software by Autodesk.

More
03 Mar 2016 21:26 #70995 by andypugh

It has been said numerous times around here that tapping is for encoder based machines only.

You need a spindle encoder, but all the axes can be stepper.

My lathe threads like a champ, and that's all steppers.

The encoder need not be anything more complex than some hall sensors looking at a gear in the headstock.

More
05 Mar 2016 22:06 #71102 by cahlfors
Replied by cahlfors on topic Thread whirling
Oh, I see!
But who needs such complexity now that there are thread milling/whirling tools that will chamfer, drill and finish tap to the bottom of a whole in one operation? Oh, and will not break, rendering the part destroyed. Or if it breaks, can just be lifted out and the operation run again with a new tool. :)
I am probably being a foolish romantic here, but the concept looks really nice! I will have to explore it! :)

Thanks,
/Chris

More
05 Mar 2016 23:33 #71104 by andypugh

But who needs such complexity now that there are thread milling/whirling tools that will chamfer, drill and finish tap to the bottom of a whole in one operation?

You don't actually need any special tools if you have a boring head. A couple of days ago I cut an internal 1.5 inch x 1.5mm pitch thread using a lathe internal threading tool in a boring head in my mill, then cut the matching external thread on the lathe.

You do need a spindle encoder on both machines to do that.

However, you can thread-mill on a CNC mill without a spindle encoder.

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds