6 axis DMM servo setup

More
30 Mar 2016 16:29 #72392 by 0jw
6 axis DMM servo setup was created by 0jw
Hello to everyone in the forum.
This is my first post and im new to LinuxCNC. I'm hoping someone can give me some insight on this. I am trying to find out what might be the best option for a 6 axis DMM-Tech servo setup. Iv looked into the anything I/O mesa cards but im going to be using 2 of the DMM breakout boards as its only 4 axis and I might wont to add more functionality later on. I was looking at the 7I80DB cards but don't wont to use Ethernet if I can help it. I have a dell I got for free that has a Foxconn G33M02 motherboard with 2x PCI slots and 1 PCIe and 1 PCie x16. the Ethernet is 10/100Mb/s so I think the 7I80DB could work. Iv came across a lot of posts of people having trouble with 2 parallel ports on 2 PCI slots. Any advise on this would be very appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2016 17:10 #72400 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic 6 axis DMM servo setup
If you have PCI slots then it is hard to suggest anything other than the 5i25 + 7i77 combo from Mesa.

store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=produc...83_87&product_id=120

To use the DMM tech servos make sure you get the DYN4 drive as that has a +/-10V interface compatible with the 7i77.

You _could_ use a 7i76 and the step-dir interface to the servos, but that isn't quite so flexible and the 7i76 only supports 5 step/dir channels.

The 7i77 spec is here: store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=produc...83_87&product_id=120
The PCI plug-and-go kit is here: store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=produc...83_84&product_id=214

But you might get things faster from: mesaus.com/index.php?route=product/produ...ath=69&product_id=79
The following user(s) said Thank You: 0jw, podarok

More
31 Mar 2016 08:59 #72444 by 0jw
Replied by 0jw on topic 6 axis DMM servo setup
Thank you andyugh for your response and advice.
I am going to be using 4 of the DYN4 and 2 of the DYN2 drives.
the DMM-Tech DMB4350-8B Breakout Board has a hard slave that frees up an axis that makes it appealing to me. It has a Charge Pump, but I don't know if it can work with Linux. When looking at the DMB4350-8B manual it says that "if charge pump is used the A axis step is not available" So this made me think I could just not use it. It definitely looks like the 5I25 is the best option for the PCI.

I don't know if the DMB4350-8B is putting out a ±10v so iv sent DMM an email asking. I'm curious as to why someone would choose analog ±10v to the drives over using steps? from what Iv gathered I think I should use velocity/speed mode.

I'm more than a bit confused on all of the analog ±10v, torque,velocity,position servo modes and how that all ties into step/direction, A/B phase quadrature or CW/CCW from the port.
Every time I try to look into the A/B phase quadrature I just come up with encoders but in the DMM manual this has to deal with the steps going to the drive with 2 step pins at "90° phase differential". Id think this would have a faster response as it has the shortest Pulse duration.

Regards, Jamie

More
31 Mar 2016 12:52 - 31 Mar 2016 13:30 #72462 by andypugh

I am going to be using 4 of the DYN4 and 2 of the DYN2 drives.

If you are committed to the DYN2 then you probably need to use step/dir or quadrature. The DYN2 has a 0-5V + direction analogue input, but rather scarily it runs at full-speed if this terminal becomes disconnected.

the DMM-Tech DMB4350-8B Breakout Board has a hard slave that frees up an axis that makes it appealing to me.

I would normally advocate keeping as much control "inside" LinuxCNC as possible.

I don't know if the DMB4350-8B is putting out a ±10v so iv sent DMM an email asking.

It doesn't, it is a digital board for step/dir and doesn't do anything clever. If you are using a 5i25 then you should look at the 7i76 daughter board, that has a whole bunch of IO pins, spindle control and 5 stepper channels, for not a lot more than the DMB breakout.
The 7i77 is a servo-version, that also has lots of GPIO pins that the DMB does not.

I'm curious as to why someone would choose analog ±10v to the drives over using steps?

In this case, because the 7i77 has 6 analogue outputs fro servo drives and the 7i76 has only 5 stepper channels. But also +/- 10V analogue works well when the position loop is being closed inside LinuxCNC. It is much easier to tune your system when you can see inside the PID calcs. This fits with the policy of doing as much of the clever stuff in LinuxCNC as possible.

I'm more than a bit confused on all of the analog ±10v, torque,velocity,position servo modes and how that all ties into step/direction, A/B phase quadrature or CW/CCW from the port.

The easiest system to tune is normally a servo drive in velocity mode (velocity loop closed inside the drive) and the position loop inside LinuxCNC. To an extent it doesn't matter that much whether the velocity command is analogue voltage or pulse-stream, though I am not sure that the DMM drives support pulse-stream velocity mode.

Every time I try to look into the A/B phase quadrature I just come up with encoders but in the DMM manual this has to deal with the steps going to the drive with 2 step pins at "90° phase differential". Id think this would have a faster response as it has the shortest Pulse duration.

Yes, though in practice you are always moving very slowly when you change direction, so it probably makes little practical difference.
Last edit: 31 Mar 2016 13:30 by andypugh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: podarok

More
31 Mar 2016 14:42 #72476 by 0jw
Thank you for that information. I think your right and I'll definitely be needing more of the DYN4 drives. I'm blown away by everything HAL can do and am starting to see why the 7I77 is perfect. If I close the loop sending the encoder out signal from the drives back to the pc would this then be using RTC?

I also hope to find a way to run some nema 17 and nema 14 as the 4th and 5th for a different setup where I need very small motors. I haven't came across any industrial servos in this size range other than some pricey Maxom dc motors.
Could I use a 5I25+7I77 and a 5I25+7i76 on the 2 PCI slots so I could run servos and steppers?

More
31 Mar 2016 14:53 #72478 by andypugh

If I close the loop sending the encoder out signal from the drives back to the pc would this then be using RTC?

RTC? If you mean "Real Time Control" then the answer is yes.

I also hope to find a way to run some nema 17 and nema 14 as the 4th and 5th for a different setup where I need very small motors. I haven't came across any industrial servos in this size range other than some pricey Maxom dc motors.
Could I use a 5I25+7I77 and a 5I25+7i76 on the 2 PCI slots so I could run servos and steppers?

You can run a 7i76 _and_ a 7i77 from one 5i25. Or for a bit less money use a 7i78 for the stepper channels.

More
06 Apr 2016 19:37 #72868 by 0jw
Hello again. I'm having a bit more trouble understanding modes. I am under the impression that speed mode is the same as velocity mode. When looking at the DYN4 Manual it says on page 5 under speed Servo Mode the resolution is 1 rpm. Sounds a lot like a VFD with tach and I have seen this mode used for a spindle. This is leading me to think I should be using position servo mode. The position servo mode does not list a encoder resolution but the Electronic Gear Ratio is of the same value as the encoder.

Regards, Jamie

More
06 Apr 2016 20:01 #72870 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic 6 axis DMM servo setup
Just a note that for a velocity mode servos, 1 RPM velocity mode resolution is perfectly adequate for normal machines
when you consider how little the position can drift with a 1 or 2 RPM velocity command error applied for 1 ms
(1/300000 or 1/150000 of an inch with a 0.2" pitch leadscrew)

More
06 Apr 2016 21:24 #72872 by andypugh

This is leading me to think I should be using position servo mode.

In velocity mode LinuxCNC would send velocity commands to the drive to put the machine into the commanded position.

So. if the machine is where it should be, velocity command is zero.
If the machine is to the left, velocity command is slow right until the position is correct.
If the machine is a long way right, the velocity command is fast left.

For easy PID you want the commanded quantity to be a time-derivative of the feedback.

So, for a position servo system it is nicest to send velocity commands, for a pid-controlled velocity you want to be commanding acceleration (or torque)

More
07 Apr 2016 00:01 #72882 by 0jw
Thank you for your response.
I can understand how this could be useful with some very slow machines with high gearing.
So if I had a direct drive setup on a 5tpi ball screw allowing me to go up to 600 ipm then my maximum resolution would be 0.2"? If my resolution is at 1 rotation I hope its still even working as an absolute encoder and not a tachometer. =/

Time to create page: 0.279 seconds