6 axis DMM servo setup

More
07 Apr 2016 00:09 #72883 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic 6 axis DMM servo setup

So if I had a direct drive setup on a 5tpi ball screw allowing me to go up to 600 ipm then my maximum resolution would be 0.2"?

No, it is talking about velocity resolution. That's unrelated to spatial resolution because the PID component can send a different value every 1mS.

So, if it wants the motor to turn at 500.25 rpm it can send 500, 501, 500, 500. in a 4mS period.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 0jw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2016 01:46 #72890 by 0jw
Replied by 0jw on topic 6 axis DMM servo setup
Ok, that makes a lot of sense now. Thank you for explaining it. Iv read about position mode being used for point to point applications like pick and place where its not as critical to control speed unlike machining. It sounds like velocity mode could still do everything position mode can.

More
06 Oct 2018 22:00 #118504 by 0jw
Andy, you mentioned that it was possible to run 2 7i77 off of a single 5i25? I'm not sure how this would be done other than using a custom Y parallel port cable. I'm confused as to how it won't have conflict with the encoder feedback if two Motors are on the same axis? I'm still unsure of the size of Motors as I don't know the total weight of the machine I've been working on. I had initially planned to use two Motors on the Z lifting the XY gantry and two on the Y and one motor on x and two Motors on the rotational C axis along with one other motor which I met try to use some sort of spindle pwm output for. If I can use one motor on the z-axis that would definitely free up some pins. Although there's a lot more mechanics involved when lifting an entire gantry.

More
06 Oct 2018 22:07 #118505 by 0jw
It might actually be an advantage to use stepper Motors on the z-axis since I could take advantage of dynamic braking. Is there any conflict between using 5i25&7i77 along with another 5i25&7i76? I wasn't sure if you can set specific axis to be analog or step/Dir in linuxcnc and haven't found any information on it.

More
06 Oct 2018 22:27 #118507 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic 6 axis DMM servo setup
The 5i25 can support 2 daughter boards, but you need to buy a cable to convert from the DIN connector to a parallel port connector for the second one.

So with one 5i25,you could have two 7i77s or one 7i77 and one 7i76 or all the other combinations.

And yes you can have two 5i25's if you wanted.

linuxcnc can have each axis use different interfaces (eg servo or step)

Chris M

More
06 Oct 2018 23:21 #118508 by Todd Zuercher
Unless you need the extra io a 7i78 might be a better choice than a 7i76 for adding step/dir to a 7i77 5i25 combo.

Time to create page: 0.267 seconds