Remembering offsets

More
30 Mar 2016 17:12 #72401 by n_spect_r
I've looked around a bit and couldn't find anything on this, not really sure where to look. We have an old Bridgeport which at one day had EZtrak on it. That motherboard smoked and I retro fit it to Linuxcnc. Running both Ubuntu 10 with 2.5.4 and just tried Wheezy with 2.7, dual booting. Issues that might be fixed with configuration. Clicking on File Edit with a program loaded in 2.7 does not open a text editor, maybe I need to add something. I also note that in 2.7 the machine does not remember offsets. For example, if I run something with a G57 offset today then go back to the same program tomorrow I need to touch off and reset the G57, the older version doesn't do this. In 2.5 I just home the machine at start-up, load the program and go.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2016 05:44 #72439 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Remembering offsets
Have you set the linuxcnc editor to a valid editor for the installation? in your ini file...

EDITOR = gedit - The editor to use when selecting File > Edit to edit the G code from the AXIS menu. This must be configured for this menu item to work. Another valid entry is gnome-terminal -e vim.

In this case gedit must be installed.

Also in your ini file is there a position file?

POSITION_FILE = position.txt - If set to a non-empty value, the joint positions are stored between runs in this file. This allows the machine to start with the same coordinates it had on shutdown. This assumes there was no movement of the machine while powered off. If unset, joint positions are not stored and will begin at 0 each time LinuxCNC is started. This can help on smaller machines without home switches.

Rick G

More
31 Mar 2016 07:13 #72442 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic Remembering offsets

. Clicking on File Edit with a program loaded in 2.7 does not open a text editor, maybe I need to add something. .

I don't think by default in 2.7.4 iso that gedit is in there. I had to add it after. But mousepad is and you can use that as an editer

More
31 Mar 2016 11:30 #72452 by n_spect_r
Replied by n_spect_r on topic Remembering offsets
Thanks all for the replies. I found the .ini and it does show gedit, I'll probably install that, I like gedit. but no position file in either version. Something else I note, I have limit switches on my axis and when on a switch I get an arrow on the screen only in ver 2.5.

Time to create page: 0.614 seconds