spindle at speed delay

More
04 Apr 2016 01:22 #72668 by eman5oh
I am having an issue with my machine not waiting long enough for the spindle to come up to speed before cutting. I have a vfd drive with a spindle at speed connected up, but it signals at speed when the vfd finished its ramp to desired frequency. It takes the spindle about another second to actually be at speed. I do not have any feed back for spindle speed yet. Is there a way to wait for a period of time after I get the at speed. I know you can use a g4 p1 to do it with g code, I am looking for a way in hal to do it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2016 03:46 #72673 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic spindle at speed delay
Might check on the vfd for a way to adjust the at speed comparison - this is usually adjustable.
other wise you could use ladder or HAL components to add a delay.
In ladder it would be an IEC timer block set to TON timer mode with a one second preset.
The idea is to put a delay between the pin that monitors the VFD and the spindle-at-speed input.

Chris M

More
04 Apr 2016 12:40 #72708 by Todd Zuercher
Yes, sounds like your VFD isn't configured correctly for the motor. I was having similar problems on a machine we bought new, and found that the machine manufacturer never changed the VFDs from their default settings, to what they should have been for the motors. These problems were causing the motors to spool up in about 7-8 sec even though the drives were set to do it in 20, also caused the drive not to react and compensate if the motor slowed under load, and made it stall much too easily. After correctly configuring the drives, files that used to stall the motors don't even noticeably slow them. The thing that tipped me off that it was wrong, was I replaced one of the spindles with a different type, and it wouldn't run at all, went to reconfigure the drive and found the factory VFD default settings were ridiculously wrong for even the old motors (was amazing they ran as well as they did, if at all).

More
04 Apr 2016 13:07 #72715 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic spindle at speed delay

Is there a way to wait for a period of time after I get the at speed.

If you can't fix it in the VFD settings:
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/man/man9/timedelay.9.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: uur.ersan, eman5oh

More
05 Apr 2016 00:16 #72752 by eman5oh
Replied by eman5oh on topic spindle at speed delay
Thanks the time delay did the trick, I could not get the VFD to cooperate no matter what I did with the settings. At some point I will get an encoder hooked up to the spindle and this will no longer be an issue.

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds