Improving precision?

More
20 Apr 2016 12:44 #73640 by FelixPQ
Improving precision? was created by FelixPQ
Currently I have a working router CNC running on linear bearing and driven with steppers and ballscrews. With Mach3, SmoothStepper and a G540. To make a long as short as possible, my machine is only reliable to 1/100 inch, cheap ballscrews and nuts, backlash and probably other things as well.

Maybe it's worth mentioning, I have a dual drive X axis.

Yes, I know this is a LinuxCNC forum, I'm here because I'm exploring all possible solutions.

If I had a linear encoder either relative or absolute or whatever in fact such that could (even manually) drive my X axis to this or that position with a 95% confidence that the error is no more then 1/1000 inch or better, I'd be a happy man.

I make small wooden boxes using the V fold technique and I just need to make 3 or 4 V cuts, I could do this manually and as it is my box are looking like shit. Unfortunately for me I have a good eye and I don't like what I see.

The rest of my work is not so demanding, I could live with what I have.

:laugh:
Yves

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2016 12:52 #73641 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Improving precision?

If I had a linear encoder either relative or absolute or whatever in fact such that could (even manually) drive my X axis to this or that position with a 95% confidence that the error is no more then 1/1000 inch or better, I'd be a happy man.

Just adding linear encoder might not help very much. If you consider the X axis, then even if the slides are in exactly the right place, and flex or movement in the load-chain to the tool-tip will result in the tool not exactly following the programmed path.

Rather than add a feedback system you would probably be better investing in preloaded ballnuts and stiffening up the machine frame.
Any movement in the Y-slides in the X direction and vice-versa should be considered too.

Don't neglect to examine the stiffness of your spindle mountings too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FelixPQ

More
20 Apr 2016 13:23 #73644 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic Improving precision?
I have not had very good luck with miter fold joints. They are difficult and fiddly to get right, and even then did not scale well for production. And this was using large heavy duty commercial cncs ($100k+ moving table fixed bridge Komo). A lot of our problems can be blamed on not using materials well suited for miter folding (surface skins weren't flexible enough and cracked easily.)
Some things I learned were, 1st using the right bit is crucial. A 91 degree bit with a slightly flat nose rather than a perfect point, will usually give better results than a perfect 90 degree V.
Use a material with a flexible skin (vinyl or paper...). Wood veneers usually don't work well, unless you apply tape or some kind of film to hold the joints together before you mill them, and even still you are going to get a splintery joint you'll end up sanding mostly off (and still looks like poo)
A light duty machine like most cheap or home built routers probably is not going to be stiff enough to mill to the consistent depths needed to do good folds. To try to compensate, mill the fold grooves in multiple steps and use a final clean-out cut that only removes a small amount of material (0.02 or so). And if your stepper machine is loosing ANY steps on the Z axis the whole process is going to be hopeless (a real and probable scenario with Mach's tendency for acceleration constraint violations)

Good Luck
The following user(s) said Thank You: FelixPQ

More
21 Apr 2016 21:39 #73701 by FelixPQ
Replied by FelixPQ on topic Improving precision?
I tried another method to calibrate my axis, one that I'm sure is independent of backlash. I'll also try make my gantry square. From there I'll do some more test and from there I'll decide.

Thank you very much for your input.
Yves

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds