1 axis table saw

More
24 Apr 2016 14:00 - 24 Apr 2016 14:06 #73800 by bevins
1 axis table saw was created by bevins
Hi,

I want to put an axis on my table saw with a servo. I have a few questions while I am designing it.

What I want to do is create a control panel with on/off to turn the motor on and off, a keyboard to be able to punch in the numbers which would be the cut size, That would be the distance from the blade to the guide. An estop, and some other buttons required, (not sure yet what they will be used for).

I would put a limit switch so when the guide is at the blade it would be zero, home switch or .25inch off the blade and put the limit switch at the blade exact. Then I could use an offset programmed in HAL so I can adjust it easily. IS this doable? IS linuxCNC overkill for this?

I also thought I could use a touchscreen and GMOcappy to do this so no keypad is needed.

I already have a big sliding table saw capable of cutting 5 X 10, just want to turn it into CNC for setting the guide.

Does this all sound feasable?

Thanks,

Bob
Last edit: 24 Apr 2016 14:06 by bevins.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2016 15:22 #73852 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic 1 axis table saw

Yes.

I would be tempted to look at building a super-simple GUI in Glade, and maybe not even using G-code at all.
The limit3 HAL component is a perfectly adequate motion controller for a single axis.

Just send positions to the limit3 input from the GladeVCP panel.

More
26 Apr 2016 12:48 #73900 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic 1 axis table saw

Yes.

I would be tempted to look at building a super-simple GUI in Glade, and maybe not even using G-code at all.
The limit3 HAL component is a perfectly adequate motion controller for a single axis.

Just send positions to the limit3 input from the GladeVCP panel.

Yes, Thats what was in my mind. Not using gcode, just using a keypad to enter the position re: 22.5 enter, then it moves to that position.

Or use a headless system and a control panel and have all the buttons on there like: machine-on, E-stop, home and a keypad for entering.. Have a monitor behind the machine for troubleshooting or whatever.

I will look at the limit3 component., I dont know what that is.

Thanks,

Bob

More
26 Apr 2016 13:29 #73901 by andypugh

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/man/man9/limit3.9.html

Basically

net command gladevcp.position => limt3.0.in
net out limit3.0.out => stepgen.0.command

Is all you need.

In fact for a stepper it can be even simpler than that, the stepgen has its own velocity and acceleration limits so you may not even need the limit3.

More
26 Apr 2016 15:21 #73915 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic 1 axis table saw

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/man/man9/limit3.9.html

Basically

net command gladevcp.position => limt3.0.in
net out limit3.0.out => stepgen.0.command

Is all you need.

In fact for a stepper it can be even simpler than that, the stepgen has its own velocity and acceleration limits so you may not even need the limit3.

I am done with steppers. It will be a servo.

More
27 Apr 2016 14:34 #73955 by andypugh
In that case you probably want the limit3, though you could just let the PID controller run full-speed.

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds