Error when attempting to restart LinuxCNC

More
02 May 2016 01:52 #74118 by jsamaniego1
Hi,

Today tried setting g0x0y0z0 for a particular location for a project, and the software did not respond to the touch off commands. The software interprets z0 as the maxed out + position. I tried to close and restart LinuxCNC but the error on the attached document prevented this. I restarted the computer which did allow me to launch LinuxCNC, but the software still did not touch off correctly. Is there anyone with knowledge of this error?

Thanks.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2016 11:01 #74127 by andypugh
I think that there are two unrelated problems here.
The problem with restarting was
"insmod: error inserting '/usr/realtime-2.6.32-122-rtai/modules/linuxcnc/hal_parport.ko': -1 Resource temporarily unavailable"
which means that for some reason the parallel port was still in use. I am afraid I don't know what the problem is there. Does it happen repeatedly or was it a one-off?

The touch-off problem is likely to be that you were doing something wrong, or at least not in the way that the software expects.
Which touch-off commands were you using? Were you using G10 and MDI, or using buttons in the GUI? (Which GUI?)

It sounds like you were trying to touch-off the G54 coordinate system?

More
02 May 2016 20:57 #74146 by jsamaniego1
Yes, I was trying to set 0,0,0 on a piece of material using the G54 CS. I was successful using this method on the first project that I did (using Probotix Comet).

If you are not familiar with the initial error, what do you then recommend I do to resolve the error? Should I install a newer version of LinuxCNC?

I am new to CNC and could use all of the help I can get.

Thanks.

More
02 May 2016 21:08 #74148 by andypugh

If you are not familiar with the initial error, what do you then recommend I do to resolve the error? Should I install a newer version of LinuxCNC?

I don't think either problem has been explicitly fixed by any recent updates.

Has the parport problem re-occurred?

Was the GUI set to show absolute rather than relative coordinates when you touched off?

More
03 May 2016 04:33 #74155 by jsamaniego1
The parport problem persists, and the GUI shows relative when touching-off.

I was able to 0 my coordinate system to a piece of material just a bit ago by changing the touch-off from G54 to G59.3. Again, I am new to CNC and programming, so I am not sure what defines which codes are usable at any given time.

More
03 May 2016 09:12 #74163 by andypugh

The parport problem persists

It isn't a problem I have heard of before. It is quite common for LinuxCNC to not be able to get the parport because something else has. But this sounds like LinuxCNC not releasing the parport.

I was able to 0 my coordinate system to a piece of material just a bit ago by changing the touch-off from G54 to G59.3. Again, I am new to CNC and programming, so I am not sure what defines which codes are usable at any given time.

If touching-off G59.3 caused the display to show zero then it sounds like you are "in" the G59.3 coordinate system.

I have forgotten how you can tell what the current coordinate system is in Axis. I might be shown on the status far at the bottom, or you might have to look in the Active G-codes in the MDI tab.

If you MDI a G54 command, can you then touch-off G54?

More
06 May 2016 21:01 #74319 by jsamaniego1
The G54 is toggling on and off and I have been able to touch-off my coordinates successfully... I feel like that is simply my lack of post processing and G-code knowledge, which is something that I can expand on over time.

What I cannot overcome, however, is the LinuxCNC software closing down with an error and then refusing to restart without a complete computer reboot. There has to be something that you guys can recommend, because this is obviously not standard operating procedure.

Thanks.

More
06 May 2016 23:32 #74322 by andypugh

What I cannot overcome, however, is the LinuxCNC software closing down with an error and then refusing to restart without a complete computer reboot.

Which error does it give when LinuxCNC crashes?

More
07 May 2016 09:45 #74335 by cncbasher
one problem i see is
Comet_TS_2015.hal:4: Warning: File contains DOS-style line endings.
please re save the file using 'save as ' and make sure you select LF ,and not windows as the line endings , this is common
when editing files on a windows OS , and can cause many different styles of errors .
including the error and problems you are experiencing ,.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds