Understanding Homing for a mill

More
05 May 2016 10:46 #74263 by andypugh

Well that is disappointing. I was kind of hoping that there was some flag I missed which would have the display showing machine units, local coordinate system units, distance to go, etc. all at the same time

The Touchy GUI shows the full set like that. But doesn't show the graphical preview. (though you can add it as a custom tab)

I tried this by editing the parameter file and inserting my home position values in these parameters, but once the program ran, the program inserts its own values in parameters 5161 - 5166 even though I never issued a G28.1 command.

That's wierd. What happens if you do issue a G28.1 ? I think that should write the values once, and then they should be persistent.

Is it possible that you edited the file with LinuxCNC running, and it over-wrote your values on exit with the values that it read on startup?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2016 13:13 #74270 by Todd Zuercher
So It sounds to me what is confusing you is that the Axis user interface defaults to showing you the relative coordinates on the DRO, and you are used to seeing the machine (absolute) coordinates or both at the same time. Like Andy said you can switch between the relative and absolute coordinates on the DRO with the pull down menu or by pressing the # key. Unfortunately Axis doesn't have an option to display both at the same time.
Remember there are several other gui options that come with Linuxcnc besides Axis. Many of which do show both the machine (absolute) coordinate position and the relative position at the same time. Such as:
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/gui/gmoccapy.html
or
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/gui/gscreen.html
or
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/gui/touchy.html

Another option for you could be to add a virtual control panel with the DRO information you want to Axis with a pyvcp or gladevcp.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds