What program to generate G-code?

More
21 May 2016 20:32 #74923 by customcutter
It's taken several years now, (I'm actually running Ubuntu 10.04 no longer supported if that's an indication). I tried to upgrade back in March when the old 286 died, but the latest 2 versions wouldn't work for some reason so I went back and installed Ubuntu on the newer machine. I get latency errors so I need to address that also, but the main thing is the mill is running, ball screws installed, no backlash, steppers working.

I've tried some programming with GibbsCAM exported my files as DXF and then converted them to G-code, using a DXF to G-code conversion tutorial that I found on-line. The problem is I have no control over the tool path, right-left-or center line. Also there is no depth control on the z axis.

What do you recommend for programming or generating G-code?

thanks,
Ken

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2016 23:50 #74929 by tommylight
For simple 2d tasks i use inkscape with gcodetools, and edit depth manually, but for 3d i am hoping to learn blendercam (time constraints), it is quite a challenge but it is usable for so many things, so well worth the effort. There are plenty of tutorials and videos on the net, so it should go smoothly.
I have used Pycam several times, it is very nice and very usable, but takes forever to generate tool paths.
Regards,
Tom

More
22 May 2016 10:04 #74937 by Rick G
You might look here...
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Cam

For different jobs I have used...
Ace Converter www.dakeng.com/ace.html
Sheetcam www.sheetcam.com
Vectric www.vectric.com
DesignCad www.turbocad.com/designcad/designcad-3d-max-25.html

Rick G

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds