Need Help Please... Mesa 7i76 conversion

More
25 May 2016 02:13 #75061 by mjohnsonsa
I think you may have misunderstood. I do not have a DM556, I have a CCK5560 (www.cncelectronicskit.com/) there is no documentation and no specifications on what the timings should be. I called the company I bought it from and they said the only specifications they have on those drivers is what is on that page.

I need to know where to start with those settings I specified in my previous post... As I said the documentation that I have read does not help. Hopefully someone will tell me what they would put as values in those fields so I could get this thing running, if I don't get it figured out in the next couple days I will have no choice but to ditch my effort to use linuxcnc and go back to Mach.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2016 03:35 #75063 by PCW
Your first link ends with "driver-dm556d.html" and the pictures at that link clearly show DM556D drives
Are you saying you have different step drives?

More
25 May 2016 11:05 #75067 by andypugh

Okay, I added the PIDs back in the files and I also set the STEPLEN and STEPSPACE to 3500 and I have movement! (although very slow).

What do you call slow?

It looks like the GUI slider is defaulting to 0.25 inches per second, with a max of 1. Your [TRAJ] settings are 1 inche per second, but may be being over-ridden by the GUI slider.

More
25 May 2016 12:30 #75071 by mjohnsonsa
Wow you are right, the URL does say DM556 but nothing on the page says that and the driver itself says CCK5560. I will try all the settings of the DM556, maybe what I have is just rebranded.

What about each of the PID settings? Where do I get the recommended values for thoss for this drive?

More
25 May 2016 13:11 #75073 by andypugh

What about each of the PID settings? Where do I get the recommended values for thoss for this drive?

I don't think that the PID settings change depending on the drive. If you have a 1kHz servo thread then I think it is P of 1000, FF1 of 1, and zero everywhere else.
But wait for confirmation before changing anything...

More
25 May 2016 14:08 #75074 by PCW
Yes, P = 1000, FF1=1
that's it, no real tuning required

If you have multi-G accelerations and need uinch accuracy
(which i assume this is not the case here) you can tune FF2

You tune FF2 to compensate for the fact that the velocity update
write is delayed from the positiion read (FF2 should be set to the
number of seconds between the read and the write)
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjohnsonsa

More
25 May 2016 17:49 - 25 May 2016 17:49 #75080 by mjohnsonsa
Guys -- Thank you for your help. I have almost got this figured out. I am only have one problem now that I cannot figure out. Sometimes after homing my Y-Axis steppers (can't reproduce every time and have only seen it on the Y-Axis) once it homes and backs off the switch the stepper starts erratically going back and forth about 20 degrees each way for a few seconds, it then settles down and jogs just fine. I am using the Gantry component to keep the two in lock-step but it is always just one side that does this and it has happened with both sides, just not seen it do both at the same time. What it looks like is after homing, it backs off, and then one side rocks back and forth a couple seconds and then stops. I then immediately re-home it and it does not happen again. I have not found a pattern to reproduce the problem. Any suggestions? .ini and .hal are attached...

Thanks.
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 May 2016 17:49 by mjohnsonsa.

More
25 May 2016 19:30 #75081 by PCW
I think this is a side effect of the gantry components violation of acceleration constraints
(and it will be worse if the amount of gantry skew is large, which probably explains why it only happens sometimes)

Possible fixes in nice to ugly order:

1. Use JA14 branch (probably best long term solution)

2. Continue using the gantry component with linuxcNC but pass the Y axis
commanded positions through the limit3 component to limit the commanded acceleration

3. Try setting the Y stepgen acceleration to 0 (which means no limit)
this will make a large bump when homing but if moving slowly enough should not lose steps

More
25 May 2016 22:20 #75088 by mjohnsonsa
Does documentation exist on how to configure the JA14 branch? I assume I would not use my same .ini and .hal...

More
25 May 2016 22:28 #75089 by PCW
I think there's a script that converts the hal/ini files from standard LinuxCNC to JA version

How well this will work on a a trivkins --> gantry comp set of files is unknown

Perhaps Andy Pugh can chime in, I believe he wrote the conversion script

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds