3d scanner?

More
25 May 2016 21:34 #75086 by sawdust
3d scanner? was created by sawdust
I would like to 3d scan and then mill small objects. Has anyone purchased an actual 3d scanner? What did you buy, what would you buy next time! I would like to scan small objects like coins. Though they have very little depth, when they are enlarged there will be height. Good resolution is important.

Thanks, David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2016 11:52 #75111 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic 3d scanner?
For coins you might consider a touch-probe.

I should remind you that machining your own coins is unlikely to be cost-effective and is probably illegal :-)

More
26 May 2016 12:05 #75112 by sawdust
Replied by sawdust on topic 3d scanner?
If I make them larger then it will allow for inflation!

More
26 May 2016 13:43 #75115 by Cpk_Rbt
Replied by Cpk_Rbt on topic 3d scanner?
Sawdust,
I feel that Andy has the right idea here, you probably want to try and just design these by hand if your budget is tight. Low cost 3D scanners really won't pick up the details you would be looking for on a coin. The lower cost 3D scanners work OK for large objects, but they really wouldn't give you much usable data on anything small. I feel you would need to spend quite a bit to get a scanner that would pick up the detail that you are asking about. A scanner with that resolution is going to be anywhere from 20k-50k depending on it's age and features.
Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: sawdust

More
26 May 2016 18:31 #75119 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic 3d scanner?
You might get a feel for what is being sold for the type of project you are interested in here:
www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&Index...+scanner+for+jewelry

(Which was just the result of a Google search). I have no experience of any of the products there.

Depending on where you are you might be able to try something out before committing. I think that (for example) the iMakr stores have some scanners in their physical shops.

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds