LINUX CNC First time assistance

More
11 Jun 2016 00:12 #75795 by CrisHooker30
I'm using a Sony Vaio laptop with my usb connected to my g shield and Uno board. The goal is the run Linux using usb how van I do this? Does anyone use a similar setup so I can get through the configuration step / confusion?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2016 09:31 #75806 by andypugh
This isn't a combination that can work.

LinuxCNC is a machine controller, and the G-shield is _also_ a machine controller. You only need one.

LinuxCNC is a machine controller that runs on PC hardware and it relies on having a real-time connection to that hardware. USB does not offer a real-time connection. This is not about data rate, the quantity of data is very small. It is about the time-accuracy of the data.

What you need is some software that can send G-code to the G-shield without interpreting it or converting it to step pulses or servo position commands. This is not something that LinuxCNC can do, nor is it something that it makes any sense to modify LinuxCNC to do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CrisHooker30

More
11 Jun 2016 12:12 #75815 by CrisHooker30
LinuxCNC + arduino
rkmiit.ru/main/all/students/educational/...uinolinuxcnc_en.html

So then I drop the g shield per these steps it says I can use my Uno . Would like some steps on using my pi but most I've found are lacking.

More
11 Jun 2016 12:47 #75816 by cncbasher
Linuxcnc will not work with USB ,
the website your refer is using an arduino as an add on for connection of analog inputs only
it will not work as a controller

More
11 Jun 2016 19:28 #75832 by andypugh
If you want to use LinuxCNC you should be able to use the gShield and potentially keep the Uno for GPIO but not step generation:
www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3247

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds