Stepper Sizing

More
09 Aug 2016 22:19 #78546 by Robotwizard
Stepper Sizing was created by Robotwizard
Looking for info about stepper sizing. Anyone know of any good sites with advice on stepper sizing? Need x and Y axis sizes for retrofit on an old 10" x 24" lathe. Using ballscrews on both and possibly linear slides on x-axis. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
More
19 Aug 2016 12:13 #79051 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Stepper Sizing
As a data-point I have a lightweight Chinese 9x20 lathe runing with NEMA23 steppers. It has 3.5Nm on Z and a 20mm ballscrew and , 2.5Nm on X with an 8mm ballscrew.

The X is slightly more acceptable than the Z, though parting is a bit of an exercise in frustration. Toolpost drilling is not really an option with anything bigger than 6mm.

It's a perfectly usable lathe, and has made some decent parts but on the basis of that machine my latest conversion (a Holbrook Minor 10 x 20) has 1kW servos on both axes.

For a stepper machine I think I would be looking at 3.5Nm NEMA 23 on X and 5+ Nm NEMA34 on Z.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robotwizard

More
19 Aug 2016 16:33 #79083 by Robotwizard
Replied by Robotwizard on topic Stepper Sizing
Thanks! Having a reference point is a big help! I noticed you refer to the carriage axis as 'Z', while others refer to it as 'y'. Is this interchangeable?
What are your opinions on hybrid steppers? I was also concerned about going too big as others have said that sizing too big can result in rapids being too slow.

what are your thoughts on drives? My impression is that the higher voltage drives are preferable and will provide best performance.
Do you have any favorite brands of steppers and drives?

As a data-point I have a lightweight Chinese 9x20 lathe runing with NEMA23 steppers. It has 3.5Nm on Z and a 20mm ballscrew and , 2.5Nm on X with an 8mm ballscrew.

The X is slightly more acceptable than the Z, though parting is a bit of an exercise in frustration. Toolpost drilling is not really an option with anything bigger than 6mm.

It's a perfectly usable lathe, and has made some decent parts but on the basis of that machine my latest conversion (a Holbrook Minor 10 x 20) has 1kW servos on both axes.

For a stepper machine I think I would be looking at 3.5Nm NEMA 23 on X and 5+ Nm NEMA34 on Z.

More
19 Aug 2016 17:31 #79084 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Stepper Sizing

What are your opinions on hybrid steppers?

If you mean the ones with integrated encoders, then that is what I would use if I was building a stepper system.
But, recently, I have been using second-hand industrial servos.
One of these ought to be pretty good on your Z, perhaps something shorter on X.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171906147332
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robotwizard

Time to create page: 0.772 seconds