MESA 5i25 & 7i77 + 6i25 & 7i76 com error

More
13 Sep 2016 12:35 - 13 Sep 2016 12:43 #80390 by bkt
I have an mesa 6i25 + 7i76 and 5i25 + 7i77 ... on JA9 on lcnc2.8?? is possible??
Anywho some time ago I've some communication error at shutdown .... sometime during test operation ... I have some solenoid, big relais in cabinet and some electrical brake on motors ... so every one is connect to CNR07D470K as anti-spike device (38V max 11ns time of intervention) but the error continues to occur at shutdown, not always ... but before putting protective equipment was the same.
The 5V only power the mesa cards 7i76 and 7i77 ....

the image of error is these:

Some ideas??

regards
Giorgio
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Sep 2016 12:43 by bkt.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2016 12:45 - 13 Sep 2016 12:47 #80393 by Todd Zuercher
What kind of communication error? What does the alarm message say? Any other debuging information?

Never mind spoke too soon.

Have you loaded the latest firmware for your mesa cards? There have been updates to address these issues. You may also need to update to a newer Linuxcnc version.
Last edit: 13 Sep 2016 12:47 by Todd Zuercher.

More
13 Sep 2016 13:47 - 13 Sep 2016 14:38 #80395 by PCW
As Todd says, make sure you update the 5I25/6I25 firmware to the latest and also update LinuxCNC to the latest version

This error means that there is sufficient electrical noise generated in the parallel cable (either by nearby noisy cables or a ground loop) to generate about a 2V spike in the FPGA input.

There have been two fixes done to improve noise immunity from random noise spikes. One is software changes in
LinuxCNC (I think these were done between 2.7.4 and 2.7.5, not sure when or if they were merged with master)
The other change is a firmware change (a digital filter on the FPGA receive UART RX pin) to reject RX pin noise lasting less than 1/2 of a bit time.

EDIT: The sserial issues in master were fixed around May of this year, so updating your linuxCNC
installation should fix the sserial error ( its not a bad idea to update the firmware also )
Last edit: 13 Sep 2016 14:38 by PCW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bkt

More
14 Sep 2016 07:47 #80426 by bkt
and into JA this issue is solved??

regards
Giorgio

More
14 Sep 2016 11:20 #80432 by Todd Zuercher
The older JA branches probably not. But the current master has JA in it that is why we keep trying to push up to update to it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bkt

More
14 Sep 2016 13:12 #80439 by bkt
new ini & hal file doc for JA

I see these ... i Think these upgrade require 1/2 day or more to make effect in my JA conf ... at these point prefer to upgrade OS too with Ubuntu Precise or try the experiment with Trusty (actually Trusty whit latest lowlatency kernel with is my preferred distro) ... so works is for october ...

@at PCW upgrade only mesa firmaware is take some effect?

Regards
Giorgio

More
14 Sep 2016 13:36 #80440 by Todd Zuercher
What distro are you using now? Is there a reason you can't use the binaries? I installed from the Ubuntu 10.04 Linuxcnc v2.5 live .iso and updated Linuxcnc to Master in less than 1 hour on a virtualmachine. Maybe a little longer if you include the time to download the iso. (we do have a half way decent internet connection here).

Precise (Ubuntu 12.04) is the newest Ubuntu version that buildbot has binaries for Linuxcnc. If you feel you must run Trusty, I think you will have to compile Linuxcnc yourself (making installation and updates much more painful).

I suspect just updating the Mesa card's firmware will not be enough. (It wasn't for me when I was having those errors.)

More
14 Sep 2016 16:17 #80445 by bkt
Yes you are in right, I explain me better:... 20min for LCNC sim machine .... 3h40min for modify old ini file and hal file from JA9 to Master Lcnc with JA included with all option (jog wheel, encoders, indexer axes .....) and related plc signal, test my custom machine with new ini and hal file, as in my case ...

Is my problem not Lcnc strictly related.

Regards
Giorgio

More
14 Sep 2016 16:19 #80446 by PCW
Master is based on JA branch now so any hal/ini file changes should be minimal

More
14 Sep 2016 17:05 #80449 by Todd Zuercher

Master is based on JA branch now so any hal/ini file changes should be minimal

If any are required at all. There is no reason to start over recreating your old config, just use your old files (or copies of them.)

Time to create page: 0.275 seconds