Random motion and lost steps after upgrade

More
05 Oct 2016 17:13 #81259 by oddwick
yes, home all works great and is actually the only way i can get it to home. in the machine menu, it only gives the option to home x,y,y,z not x, (y^2), z, and the keyboard is obviously eventful, so i need to home all whenever i make changes, which in turn means that i need to hook up the probe and do the z all over again.

and once again i must profess that dual y homing is AMAZING!!!! squareness has always been the bane of gantry routers and keeping it square another matter! of course you always find out after a 2hr cut that ends up being a parallelogram, but now everything is perfectly square (< 0.5mm over 1.8m x 1m !!!) everytime AND i can make adjustments in software instead of hardware! brilliant, absolutely BRILLIANT!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2016 17:16 #81260 by oddwick

Were you using G64 or G64Pn (n=some tolerance number such as 0.001)? The P number is very important with G64, with out it most machines will make a big mess of most code.

i use cambam for my cam and its setup with the default post mainly with a few changes. the only post i have really overhauled is for my laser. i will give that a try and see if that makes a difference. I'm still curious though as to why it would still ignore every limit i set on it...

More
05 Oct 2016 19:36 #81271 by andypugh

I'm still curious though as to why it would still ignore every limit i set on it...

So am I.

What do the INI HAL pins say the max velocity for Z is?

More
05 Oct 2016 20:16 #81272 by Todd Zuercher

yes, home all works great and is actually the only way i can get it to home. in the machine menu, it only gives the option to home x,y,y,z not x, (y^2), z, and the keyboard is obviously eventful, so i need to home all whenever i make changes, which in turn means that i need to hook up the probe and do the z all over again.

and once again i must profess that dual y homing is AMAZING!!!! squareness has always been the bane of gantry routers and keeping it square another matter! of course you always find out after a 2hr cut that ends up being a parallelogram, but now everything is perfectly square (< 0.5mm over 1.8m x 1m !!!) everytime AND i can make adjustments in software instead of hardware! brilliant, absolutely BRILLIANT!

Why are you re-homing all the time? That is what the work coordinate system (G54,G55,...) touch offs are for.

More
05 Oct 2016 23:27 #81282 by oddwick

Why are you re-homing all the time? That is what the work coordinate system (G54,G55,...) touch offs are for.

during the tuning, I've been adjusting homing switches and normally my z doesn't have a homing or limit switch, so i have a routine that probes and homes the z, but sometimes its easier to use the home button on the keyboard, or the end button for touchoffs. on the previous version, sometimes i would bind it up and need to rehome just one axis, so i would use the home button. but normally for the x/y i use g54 coords.

More
05 Oct 2016 23:34 #81283 by oddwick

setp stepgen.3.maxvel [JOINT_3]MAX_VELOCITY
setp stepgen.3.maxaccel [JOINT_3]STEPGEN_MAXACCEL

originally it was just the default setup generated by stepgen, but i added those lines on the recommendation of tommylight and it made no difference. it seems that the only way to limit my z was through the master velocity slider in axis and then only if it were set ridiculously low.

More
06 Oct 2016 00:17 #81284 by andypugh

setp stepgen.3.maxvel [JOINT_3]MAX_VELOCITY
setp stepgen.3.maxaccel [JOINT_3]STEPGEN_MAXACCEL

I might have been unclear. It should be possible to look in "show HAL config" and look at the INI pins to check that the values got through.

More
06 Oct 2016 16:41 #81306 by andypugh
It might be a bug if trying to jog Z actually jogs Y2. But the rest of the behaviour is discussed here:

sourceforge.net/p/emc/mailman/message/35411386/

More
16 Oct 2016 09:02 #81682 by Andreas.Schafferloh
Hello everybody,

I think I have the same problem. I updated recently from 2.7.x (I think 2.7.5) to 2.7.7
The last milling runs on 2.7.7 had sometimes the problem that the Z achsis suddenly went down into the workpiece. Hardware, OS and CAM software remained the same and only the linuxcnc version has changed.
(NOTE: I updated linuxcnc with apt-get; So OS had maybe got some security updates, too.)

E.g. milling program was to write a few words with a 0.6 mm cutter 1 mm deep into polycarbonate. For this I took 5 runs with 0.2mm each which worked out the last months with no problem. So after every char the machine repositions quickly and goes 0.2mm deeper but sometimes the machine goes maybe 1 inch !!! deeper into the workpiece and the collect milled the polycarbonat.

I checked to get sure the output of the CAM program but all movements related to Z achsis look absolutely fine.

Using "achsis" with a regular 3-achsis machine on a parallel port.

Cheers
-Andreas

More
16 Oct 2016 11:25 #81687 by andypugh
I think it is unlikely that the changes to LinuxCNC are the cause of this:

linuxcnc.org/2016/07/31/LinuxCNC-2.7.6/
linuxcnc.org/2016/09/08/LinuxCNC-2.7.7/

Can you check that you are still using the right kernel? (uname -r command)

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds