AC servo motor drives compatibility

More
26 Sep 2016 22:39 #80958 by PanagiotisZ
Hello everyone!

I m new to linuxcnc, learning for a project. I m trying to drive 3-phase AC brushless servos made by NUM using their own drives. Can someone help me determine if these drives can be used with linuxcnc? Some advice on how to do it would be much appreciated too!
I attach pics of the motor specs and the drive. If any more info is needed please ask!

Thanks in advance!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Sep 2016 23:12 #80960 by BigJohnT
The photos don't help me much. If the drives take +-10v analog input and has encoder output is is pretty simple. Other control methods are possible. Do you have the manual for the drive? Do you have encoders on the axes?

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: PanagiotisZ

More
27 Sep 2016 08:17 #80976 by andypugh
I see the word "Resolver" in the fault LED key, and I see "Encoder Out" on the terminal blocks.
So, the drive takes resolver feedback from the motor for commutation and position feedback, and then outputs encoder pulses for use by the controller.

It isn't obvious from the pictures what the control mode of the drives is, but I would be very surprised if they are anything other than +/-10V velocity-mode drives, and if so they should be very easy indeed to control with LinuxCNC. You will, however, need some add-on hardware, you can't really do +/-10V servo control with just a parallel port.

More
27 Sep 2016 15:43 #81007 by PanagiotisZ
I went through the manual and it indeed uses a +/- 10V velocity reference.

What kind of hardware shall I look for?

Thanks again!

More
27 Sep 2016 15:55 #81009 by andypugh

What kind of hardware shall I look for?

There is a large list of supported hardware here:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?LinuxCNC_Supported_Hardware
Though even that is not a complete list.

People generally use one of the following three systems:
www.pico-systems.com/PPMC.html
store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=produc...83_84&product_id=214 (see the individual cards for more details)
www.generalmechatronics.com/en/linuxcnc

More
07 Oct 2016 17:57 #81353 by PanagiotisZ
Hello again,

I read the drive manual and it clearly says that the AC Monodrive may operate with both speed and torque control. The signal is an analog +-10V.

However the drive also has an RS232 serial port that can be used (among other uses) to "command motor rotation using the digital console"

So, could it be possible to control the drive via the serial port with linuxcnc?

More
07 Oct 2016 18:12 #81354 by andypugh

So, could it be possible to control the drive via the serial port with linuxcnc?

Maybe not with the computer serial port, but it should be possible in principle.

There are already servo drives compatible with LinuxCNC that use various serial protocols (EtherCAT. CAN and the Mesa Smart-serial, as examples).

Real-time serial with the Mesa-card UART modules is certainly possible, but you would need a dedicated driver. (don't be too discouraged by that, writing real-time drivers for LinuxCNC is often surprisingly easy).

I confess that I have never tried to use rtapu_inb() and rtapi_outb() with a serial port. It might "just work."
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/man/man3/rtapi_outb.3rtapi.html

If you don't want a programming project than buy existing hardware that uses +/-10V control. Because it is all closed-loop any inherent inaccuracy in the drive signal is irrelevant.

More
16 Oct 2016 10:35 #81684 by babera
you can easy convert serial port signal to another polarity or volage, Need 1 transistor 1 resistor for each signal, independed +10v power source and 1 resistor for him. Also need basic knowlege how work transistor and what is the resistor. If you have multimetr and variable resitor you can take component from any electronic scrab like broken motherboard or pc power suply.

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds