Anybody use a LinuxCNC interface to DNC/drip feed an old control?

More
17 Oct 2016 04:54 #81711 by greenbuggy
Just thinking about this...

Recently picked up an old Okuma & Howa Millac MC-4VA. 10 HP cont/15 HP (30 min) spindle, 24 tool magazine, Fanuc 6M-B controller with Fanuc Yellow Top DC brush servos and drives and Fanuc spindle drive. "Sequence Doctor" tool changer control run by a Mitsubishi PLC.

For now everything appears to work, after spending some time getting the tool changer hydraulics rebuilt and everything cleaned up.

For reference, the last 3 years I've had a 1979 Lagun FTV-3, 3 HP spindle powered by an Allen Bradley VFD, 3 axis DC servos (Baldor) run by an Intel Atom running LinuxCNC and a Mesa 5i20, 7i29 servo drives and 7i37 I/O card. Also have a CNC4PC MPG control and a touchscreen I haven't got set up yet.

Unfortunately, having been spoiled with the setup on my Lagun retrofit the 6M controls leave much to be desired. Monochrome CRT display, no 3D modeling of the toolpath and doing simple operations takes so much more time due to the anti-ergonomic keyboard and keyboard position.

I've been advised that these machines were never "really" intended for at-machine programming or simple work but I do a lot of that and I couldn't turn down this machine at the price I got it at. For what I'm doing I definitely needed more HP at my spindle and a toolchanger.

So for now I don't want to mess with what works, but I'd really like an "at-machine" control that I can accomplish a bit more with, and especially something I can throw a wireless keyboard/trackpad on.

Thinking seriously about putting a RasPi or similarly capable SBC with a touchscreen hanging off the side, with a serial interface to the RS232 port on the 6M controls. Wondering if anyone has done this, where instead of LinuxCNC commanding parallel commands out to motion control devices it is used as an interface that spits out serial text commands instead? Didn't see anything on the Wiki about how a person would go about doing that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2016 22:36 #81747 by andypugh
There are DNC software offerings out there, and they are probably a much better starting point for that than LinuxCNC.

However, I guess you could put together a Python program to send the command so the serial interface quite easily, and then use GladeVCP and the Gremlin preview widget as a graphical preview of the code.

More
18 Oct 2016 01:20 #81756 by Todd Zuercher
Just remember the RS-232 port on a 6M is pretty slow (9600 or less). We run an old 11M machine with some DNC software (can't remember the name), but it isn't much more than a terminal screen for sending G-code files through. With Cam generated carving code the serial port is the bottleneck, but the control isn't much faster.

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds