How install RTnet in LinuxCNC? Is that possible?

More
13 Nov 2016 23:50 #82749 by Keols
My LinuxCNC is 2.7. I try install RTnet 0.9.13 but say that must enable first RTDM (Real Time Driver Model) in RTAI. I check that LinuxCNC RTAI folder does not have RTDM files installed, is correct? i am missing something? I only need to install RTnet.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2016 23:56 #82750 by andypugh
Why do you want it?
If you want to run ethernet-interfaced hardware with LinuxCNC then you can do that with the PREMPT-RT kernels.

I am not sure why the decision was made to do it that way rather than with RTNet. (Though it does look like RTNet is not being particularly actively developed, so might simply not work on current kernels). Last update seems to be 2012.

More
14 Nov 2016 00:28 - 14 Nov 2016 00:29 #82752 by PCW
I think RTAI has been dropped as a supported platform for RT-Net, since the project
has been taken over by the Xenomai. Not sure what the status of RT-Net is currently.
Unfortunately, one of the people involved with merging RT-Net into Xenomai passed away
unexpectedly this year.

I _think_ there's a (experimental?) Linuxcnc branch that supports RTAI, Preempt-RT and Xenomai

For our Ethernet hardware we originally used RT-Net ( in 2012/2013 ), but it was problematic to
setup and did not support modern NICs so we changed to Preempt-RT (we assumed temporarily)
and a stock network stack, thinking RT-Net would catch up and eventually support newer hardware.
That never happened.

So we are still using Preempt-RT, which turns out to be fine as far as latency is concerned for our hardware
so it ended up being a good choice for us.
Last edit: 14 Nov 2016 00:29 by PCW.

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds