Looking for a "do not start program" signal

More
20 Dec 2016 21:54 #84478 by an92626
I am thinking of setting linuxcnc so that it will not start to run a program if my spindle is unclamped. Right now I have relay interlocks which prevent the spindle itself from turning if the spindle is unclamped, but there is no lock to prevent a program from running and moving the table. I am not sure I need this second interlock or not. I thought that if the spindle is unclamped and does not turn and a program runs, I could drive a not moving tool into a part, but then I realized that if the spindle is unclamped, it can not hold a tool. The more I think about it, being able to run a program without the spindle turning by simply unclamping and removing the tool, could be a good thing. Anyone have any thoughts? If I do want to prevent a program from running if the spindle is unclamped, does anyone know what signal I should tie into my spindle unclamped signal?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Dec 2016 22:26 #84479 by Todd Zuercher
I think I would set it up so that if the spindle was commanded to run, and the tool isn't clamped, then an alarm would be set. I think this is how most of our tool changer machines operate (factory controls, not Linuxcnc conversions.) I think this would need to be this way to be able to perform an automated tool change during a run. The added bonus the logic isn't too difficult.
I'd use an and2 to trigger a message and drive motion.enable false, if motion.spindle-on and your unclamped signal are true at the same time.

More
21 Dec 2016 14:30 #84490 by andypugh
motion.feed-inhibit might do what you want:
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/man/man9/motion.9.html

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds