Custom Tool change position

More
09 Jan 2017 05:58 #85503 by an92626
I have a manual tool changer. I want the tool to move to the home position prior to each tool change. I could use the "tool_change_at_G30" parameter, but I do not like the fact that with this method the tool moves directly to the G30 position. I would rather the quill retracted, and then the tool was moved to the home position. I also do not like the fact that with the "tool_change_at_G30", the fourth axis is returned to 0.0 at each tool change.

I would like for when a tool change event is called, the quill is retracted and then the tool moves to Y home, and then to X home. If I can get to the hal component which handles the manual tool change I may be able to modify it to do what I want. Does anyone know where the program code is for handle the manual tool change? Is there a hal file or a hal component which I could modify? If not, does anyone have a suggestion as to how I could perform the manual tool change to way I want? Perhaps do a "tool_change_at quill_retract" and then "and" in a couple of mdi-command calls?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2017 08:19 #85504 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Custom Tool change position
It seems adding these should do what you want:
TOOL_CHANGE_POSITION = 0 0 2
TOOL_CHANGE_QUILL_UP = 1
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/config/in....html#_emcio_section

or else remapping the tool change gives you the most control.
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/remap/rem...lated_codes_t_m6_m61

Chris M

More
09 Jan 2017 23:21 #85551 by an92626
Replied by an92626 on topic Custom Tool change position
thanks for the help Chris. Using tool_change_quill_up followed by Tool_change_position 0 14 0 got me 90% of the way to what I wanted. At a tool change the quill retracts and then the toll moves to the home position without resetting my fourth axis. The only drawback is that the move to x,y home is a direct diagonal move. I would prefer the final move to be a move to Y home, and then a move to X home. It is real easy to determine that there is no part or tooling in the way of a direct y home move, and then a direct x home move. When moving on a diagonal it is not always easy to be sure that nothing is in the way of the tool. I do realize that in most cases when the quill is up, the tool should be totally clear of all part and tooling, but sometimes when you are machining at the limits of your mill, one needs to be creative. I may look at option two of remapping the M6 command when I get some more free time. Maybe do a partial remapping like creating a mychange.sub which executes a G53 G0 Z0.0, then a G53 G0 y14.0, then a G53 G0 x0.0, and finally followed by a M6. According to your option two this should be possible.

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds