Spindle Enable Input

More
19 Feb 2017 19:30 #88286 by sg
Spindle Enable Input was created by sg
Hello,

I'm currently trying to wire up my lathe using the 5i25/7i76 combo boards. My lathe has a manual and an automatic switch that allows me to run it manually (using a pot) or automatically using LinuxCNC and the MESA boards. The automatic configuration is already wired and operational. Is there a way for me to bypass the automatic configuration and run it in manually by disabling the spindle feature in LinuxCNC using a configured hal pin? The manual/automatic switch currently pulls low when it manual. When set in automatic the signal floats. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2017 22:31 #88306 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Spindle Enable Input
A relay wred to one of the outputs on 7i76 can do that easily.
If you need Linuxcnc to put that on automatic when running, wire the relay contacts in series with the existing switch. If you need to switch from Linuxcnc to auto or manual, wire relay contacts in parallel with existing switch.
You have to add a line or two in hal also.

More
20 Feb 2017 20:03 #88382 by sg
Replied by sg on topic Spindle Enable Input
Thanks for the feedback but I'm trying not to integrate a relay. There is a HAL pin called "motion.spindle-inhibit". Is there a way to configure my 5i25/7i76 HAL file with a pull up resistor and link it with the "motion.spindle-inhibit" pin? This way when I switch to automatic, it will pull up and operate via LinuxCNC. When I switch to manual, it will pull down, disable the LinuxCNC spindle control, and allow me operate it via the manual pot.

More
20 Feb 2017 21:00 #88393 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Spindle Enable Input
It is not advisable to connect it directly, it must have some kind of isolation between Mesa and machine. And relays are cheap and can be found easily.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sg

More
22 Feb 2017 10:16 #88490 by sg
Replied by sg on topic Spindle Enable Input
Ok, thanks. I put an order in for a relay. It'll arrive in two weeks. I'll integrate it to isolate Mesa with the machine as you suggested.

More
24 Feb 2017 12:57 #88579 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Spindle Enable Input

Is there a way for me to bypass the automatic configuration and run it in manually by disabling the spindle feature in LinuxCNC using a configured hal pin?

There probably is a way, or several ways. But you might find that it isn't worth the time.
I went to some lengths to allow manual operation of my first 2 CNC machine conversions. And never used the facility.
On the 3rd machine (a lathe) I didn't bother. I can still use it as a semi-manual machine by using the jogwheels, and that is good enough. (as a plus, I get manual CSS mode that way)

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds