Bosch SCARA robot, CAN bus controled drives

More
21 Feb 2017 11:19 - 21 Feb 2017 11:31 #88424 by MaD
Well this old SCARA robot looks like it is very hard to program it, all instructions i have are in German and very hard to understand.
So i decided to retrofit it with Linuxcnc if possible.
Servo drives are controlled thru CAN bus by RHO 3.0 computer which will be removed. I don't want to remove servo drivers too because new ones that take step/dir or analog +/-10V will cost fortune.
So my question is:
Is it possible to connect these drives to Linuxcnc and how?
Here is some information for drives:
www.moog.com/content/dam/moog/literature...terpol-Manual-en.pdf

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:
Last edit: 21 Feb 2017 11:31 by MaD.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2017 13:41 #88425 by Todd Zuercher
Most drives that can be controlled serially, often still have traditional analog input controls as well. And quick scan of the manual you linked to seems to imply that these are not an exception.

More
21 Feb 2017 17:20 #88436 by MaD
I don't have encoder simulation boards for these drives so there for analog input is useless i think.

More
21 Feb 2017 17:44 #88439 by tommylight
Make sure you have encoders before you buy any card, most robots i have seen and worked on use resolvers, especialy KUKA.

More
21 Feb 2017 19:35 #88454 by MaD
I meant add on board for drives, this robot is using resolvers but drives won't work without them so i can't just replace resolvers with encoders.

More
24 Feb 2017 00:02 #88569 by andypugh
So: The drives take resolver feedback, but there is no way to get that feedback into LinuxCNC?
That is rather awkward. LinuxCNC can work with resolvers, but the cards that do that expect to be supplying the excitation signal themselves, and won't work with separately-excited resolvers (As far as I know)

General Mechatronics make mention of linuxCNC and CAN bus on this page, it might be worth contacting them:
www.generalmechatronics.com/en/linuxcnc

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds