Spindle at speed not quite working

More
05 Jun 2017 03:12 #94066 by Jake
I have added for spindle at speed. I thought this would kick out an error and stop motion if the spindle was not at speed, like spindle being tripped on fault or bogged down.

But I did have a instance where it had tripped the spindle on overload and went back in for another cut with the spindle not running. Is there something missing? I do also need to fix the fact that the spindle alarm is not stopping motion.....I need to look if the spindle alarm is tied with motion inhibit. I though the redundancy with spindle at speed would be nice, along with a way to kick out motion if it becomes bogged down.

Thanks!
#Spindle at speed
addf near.0 servo-thread
net spindle-cmd near.0.in1
net spindle-velocity near.0.in2
net spindle-at-speed motion.spindle-at-speed <= near.0.out
setp near.0.scale 1.01

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2017 03:40 #94069 by Todd Zuercher
Spindle at speed only inhibits the first cutting motion immediately after a spindle speed command, until the spindle speed is met. After that it is no longer monitored. That is it's designed operation.

I would concentrate on fixing what ever is wrong with your spindle alarm.

More
06 Jun 2017 11:46 #94138 by Jake
Thanks Todd,

I am going to fix the spindle alarm issue tonight. That is good to know that it only monitors it off the initial spindle speed command.

More
14 Jun 2017 16:21 #94506 by Jake
Todd, what are you using for your spindle alarm interface ?

I was thinking about using
addf spindle-fault servo-thread
# Spindle Alarm              DI 09
net spindle-fault motion.enable ppmc.0.din.08.in

I do have a motion.enable instance for low air pressure, so I think I need to add a "or2.1.in.1" for it also.

My spindle surging issue has come back also, DAC output looks great, I think its an issue with the spindle drive itself. But...if I MDI the command it spins right up. Just when the program is commanding the speed it does it. Soooo "spindle at speed" is not working as it is doing this at the beginning of the program with the speed at half of the commanded speed.

More
14 Jun 2017 18:33 #94510 by Todd Zuercher
On one machine I'm using a digital output from the VFD to an input into Linuxcnc, and in hal connected to motion.feed-inhibit and to a message component to tell me why the machine stopped.
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man9/message.9.html

On another, I have the VFD directly break the e-stop chain using one of it's digital outputs to set the e-stop and no other feedback into Linuxcnc.

If you are already using the pin you want to use, be it motion.feed-inhibit or motion.enable, you would need to add an or2. (would be or2.0.in0 for the 1st input on the 1st or2.)

As to your surging problem, do you you have all of the VFD's parameters configured properly for your motor specs? The wrong settings can make a big difference with some VFDs. I had some that were configured way wrong and it caused them to spin up to speed in a fraction of the time in their settings, and they ran with about 1/4 their rated torque, (The machine builder never bothered changing or even checking the defaults.) I only found out they were wrong when I replaced one of the spindles with a new one with slightly different specs. The new one would not run hardly at all. After setting all the parameters correctly on all the motors, now we can take more than twice as deep of a cut without noticeably slowing the spindles. (When they were almost stalling with the shallow cut before.)

More
14 Jun 2017 21:47 #94515 by Jake
I am going to try feed inhibit instead of motion inhibit which turns the whole machine off. Mine is a VMC retrofit so there is a spindle drive with matched motor, I did not change the parameters from the original setup on the spindle drive. I did lengthen the acceleration curve in the control, It is wierd it has not done it for a long time. Now its back all the sudden. I am going to call Yaskawa tomorrow and pick there brain about it, but it is now the hottest in the shop that I have run this machine also. I think its wierd that if I MDI the speed like M3S8000 it goes right to it,but if I start a program that is calling for 8000 RPM is will get to about half speed, try to accelerate and drop back, and continue to surge. I am going to look to see if there is something that is in my NGC's that could be causing this surging also.

More
27 Jul 2017 14:39 #96569 by Jake

Spindle at speed only inhibits the first cutting motion immediately after a spindle speed command, until the spindle speed is met. After that it is no longer monitored. That is it's designed operation.

I would concentrate on fixing what ever is wrong with your spindle alarm.

Will my spindle surging has reared its ugly head again, the spindle at speed still does not work. Spindle commanded to 8000rpm, it will only make 2000-3000 rpm and not any more, it is allowing motion and cutting even at that speed. Do y'all see something wrong with my spindle at speed syntax? I thought I had copied it right from the spindle at speed section.

I'm going to call Yaskawa today, I extended the acceleration ramp in the drive, which didn't help, I'm thinking about putting the acceleration in the drive back to 1 second and handling all the acceleration in LCNC and see if that does the trick.

Lately I only get a very narrow window of time in the shop.

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds