Books for beginner using Linux?

More
24 Jul 2017 04:27 #96334 by usert_l
Hello,

I have LinuxCNC 2.7.8 installed on my desktop PC, which I think comes with the Debian distribution. I've no experience with Linux in general... so are there any books that help beginners like me learn about using Linux? Things that I find easy to do in Windows such as adjusting time/date or adding a printer seem more complicated when I'm in Linux.

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2017 11:54 #96343 by Todd Zuercher
I can't say as I can remember ever setting the time on a recent Linux install. (It's automatically set using internet time and a timezone configured at installation.) but to change it I think you just click on the clock and follow the menu options, pretty similar to Windows. I can't say I've tried to setup a printer printer in recent history with Linux, but a very long time ago when I last tried it wasn't simple. But back then neither was setting up a wifi card simple and that's easy as can be now, easier than in windows as long as it's supported hardware.

Google is your fried with learning Linux. The answer to most questions are usually just a few keystrokes away.

More
24 Jul 2017 18:20 #96361 by rodw
In my view, printers should be connected directly to the network and with the low cost of output devices today, there is no excuse to do it any other way regardless of the operating system. When I installed Linux Mint, the printers basically configured themselves and it was trivial to configure them via the provided GUI tools. Debian was just as simple. Network printers use the LPR protocol which is native to Unix.

And yes, ask Google how to do it!

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds