Linuxcnc big file of gcode problem

More
26 Jul 2017 08:31 #96450 by metalkesh
Hi everybody;

I am trying to learn about EMC2and i am making some test with it. I am using EMC2 with virtual machine. I set my virtual machine up with 1Gb ram, 16Gb HDD. I formatted my HDD 8Gb ext4 and 8Gb Swap.

I have a gcode file which is 680Mb. when i try load it, EMC2 try to load but after a few minute EMC2 is closing. I tried with axis GUI and TkemC.

also I cannot open that file any other editor like mausepad or libreoffice to change axis GUI preview options(HIDE,SHOW,DISABLE). they are act like EMC2.

Is there any way to load this file to EMC2. should i use real pc ?

If you want to learn anything, feel free and ask. If you want to see the file, I can upload via WeTransfer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2017 12:49 #96464 by Todd Zuercher
Are you using EMC2 or Linuxcnc? If the version you are using is actually EMC2, then it is ancient (more than 7 years old). Do yourself a favor and download a current version.

It sounds more like a problem with your VM or how the base linux system installed into it. Linuxcnc (or EMC2) will not be able to control a real machine from within a VM. VMs are incapable of meeting real time requirements, but they are perfectly fine for running simulations, for learning or development purposes. I use it often in VirtualBox on a Windows system for running simulations and setting up configurations that will be used on real machines. If you are wanting to control a real machine with Linuxcnc, it will have to be installed on bare metal not in a virtual machine.

More
26 Jul 2017 18:51 #96498 by metalkesh
Hi Todd

thanks for your attention.

sorry for my fault about EMC2. I am using Linuxcnc and it is up to date.
after your answer i tried to to open same file with real computer(4Gb ram, 500Gb Hdd with 8Gb swap, core2duo CPU). i made fresh install and i up to date my new Linuxcnc install. but the same result.
Linuxcnc tried to open file, blue bar starded to move which is at the right bottom of the axis gui a few minutes later Linuxcnc closed it self.

More
26 Jul 2017 19:24 #96502 by Todd Zuercher
I guess I missed the fact that the file was over 600Mb. That is kinda large-ish.
Could you try to open it using a gui that does not have a preview, like TkLinuxcnc.

More
26 Jul 2017 19:46 #96505 by metalkesh
Hi Todd,

i tried TkLinuxcnc but the same result.
Yes file is so big. i will upload my file via wetransfer. You can examine on it if you want.

More
26 Jul 2017 20:13 #96509 by Todd Zuercher
Doubt I will, leaving on vacation. Maybe someone else might. So how many days do you think it might take to run such a file? The largest g-code files I've ever set up and ran were more than hundred times smaller and took half a day to run.

Maybe it would be wise to subdivide the program into smaller chunks. Try cutting it in half and see if it will load, then 1/4,1/8... until you find a manageable size.

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds