linuxcnc 2.7 or 2.8 for a production machine

More
31 Oct 2017 14:01 #101062 by Jorgefv
Hi I'm in the process of learning and I don't know which version of the linuxcnc to use, I'm starting with a retrofit and I need it to be as reliable as possible
I have already tried both but I really would like to know which one is the most reliable.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2017 18:04 #101077 by cmorley
2.8 is not officially released and had some major changes in it.
2.7 is the most tested

Chris m

More
01 Nov 2017 19:09 #101144 by grijalvap
does any body know the aprox relase date for 2.8?

More
01 Nov 2017 20:20 #101152 by Todd Zuercher
Nope, but If I had to put a number on it. Sometime within in the next 5 years. (but probably more like 1-2)

More
01 Nov 2017 21:02 #101158 by rodw
Plenty of people are using V2.8 on production machines. Mainly becasue of the superior gantry support. If you do find and report a bug, the responsiveness with which it is fixed is pretty amazing for open source. But unless it's a gantry, I'd probably stay on V2.7

More
02 Nov 2017 20:31 #101204 by probamo
I run all three machines with 2.7. Two of them run with three step motors (each axis one motor with screws and respective ball nuts) and the biggest one 2200x1100mm, has two steppers on X-axis (from 0-2200mm) rack 'n' pinion, one stepper on Y-axis (from 0-1100mm) rack 'n' pinion, and one for Z-axis (0-100mm) ball nut system. No loose steps though max speed on machine 10'000 mm/min. Two X - motors homed with one limit switch, parallelism of gentry manually checked before cutting starts. I did not tried 2.8 yet, I am afraid I would make mistake in settings and machine would get ''twisted''.

More
02 Nov 2017 20:38 - 02 Nov 2017 20:38 #101205 by rodw

I. I did not tried 2.8 yet, I am afraid I would make mistake in settings and machine would get ''twisted''.

Thats the whole point of the Joint axis code in master. If you have home switches on each side of the gantry, the machine cannot get twisted. And if it does when you convert, you just change the homing offset on one side in software. It should only take 10 minutes to convert.
Last edit: 02 Nov 2017 20:38 by rodw.

More
04 Nov 2017 19:23 #101318 by probamo
Is there possibility directly to create joints from stepcofing, or should I pass first through stepconfig and then manually to modify ''ini'' file? Is there any other files I should consider to change?

More
09 Nov 2017 12:43 #101545 by Jorgefv
I'm still too noob so as I'm still learning I will stick to 2.7
thank you.

More
09 Nov 2017 13:55 #101555 by Todd Zuercher
If you wanted to switch your gantry machine from 2.7, I would suggest making a copy of your config folder, then try to "convert" it. 2.8 has a script built in that will attempt to automatically convert a machine configuration from the old (2.7 and earlier) format to the new Joints-Axis format, when you try to open it with the new 2.8. The conversion for a non standard config, will almost certainly fail to provide a perfect working config, for a non standard non-trivial kinematics machine. But it will do most of the work of converting the config, and a few simple hand edits should straighten out every thing else. The hand edits would be related to setting up the slaved joint for the gantry.

Those same edits would still have to be done if you tried to use Stepconfig to create a new config. Stepconfig has not been modified to be able to set up a slaved joint gantry yet.

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds