Twin turret lathe configuration

More
08 Nov 2017 11:25 #101518 by smalla
Hi,

it is possible to set up a dual turret lathe for linuxcnc?
They should both move independently, with their own tools and zero points.
I read somewhere that it needs to involve two separate machines, and need to sync the moves somehow.

there is a link herehere in case studies, but the link is broken:

Should I use XZ UW axes for the two turrets? is it possible? so G1 X10Z10 U10W10 would work ?

Anyone knows how to do it, or got some tips how should I begin developing it ?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2017 16:46 #101526 by andypugh
This should be possible, but in your G-code line above each axis move would finish at the same time. Your example is fine, but if the distances moved were different then the feed rates would be different.

You can, in theory, make things work by splitting moves up. So if you wanted to move Z to 100 while U was moving to 50 followed by a W move to 50 you would not use
G1 Z100 U50
G1 W50

You would, instead, use:
G1 Z50 U50
G1 Z100 W50

More
08 Nov 2017 17:03 #101527 by smalla
Ok, I understand that.
But how can program two different tools? They both would have different compensation.
Can I program somehow the use of two tools for different axes?
Or I need to set up the tool table, single tool number, but compensation on four columns, xzuw?
Or what would be the best approach?

More
08 Nov 2017 22:11 - 08 Nov 2017 22:12 #101532 by andypugh

Ok, I understand that.
But how can program two different tools? They both would have different compensation.

I think that you would have to set up one turret with offsets in XZ and one with offsets in UW. You could then do something involving G43.2 to add the offsets together.
Last edit: 08 Nov 2017 22:12 by andypugh. Reason: I got my G43 codes wrong.

More
09 Nov 2017 11:04 #101543 by VNR
Replied by VNR on topic Twin turret lathe configuration

I read somewhere that it needs to involve two separate machines, and need to sync the moves somehow.

Industrial machines have two CNC controllers because they use two independent G codes.
With just one controller, you have a G code for two independent turrets. In that case, you have to write two programs and then split and convine the G codes, which can be a nightmare and the result may not be optimal.

More
10 Nov 2017 11:35 #101595 by smalla
So G43.2 can be used If Im not mistaken.

More
10 Nov 2017 11:43 #101597 by smalla
Actually this machine will do the very same movement in a mirrored fashion on the Z W axes. But will use two tools so need to set up two compensation points.

So im thinking on writing a wrapper, which will simply negate the W axis, but it might not be hard to copy the XZ Params and turn them into X->U -- Z->(-W)

More
10 Nov 2017 13:32 #101600 by Todd Zuercher
The tool offset table in Linuxcnc has separate columns for each axis. So if you are always using the same pairs of tools together then you can simply have the Z offset in the Z column and the W offset in the W column. (If tool 3 in the Z is always used with tool 3 in the W.) If the pairs of tools are not always the same then you will need to use a separate tool position for each, one tool with the Z offset in the Z column (and no W) and the other tool with the W (in the W column but no Z), then add the two tool offsets using G43.2. The same for X and U if needed.

More
12 Nov 2017 11:06 #101685 by andypugh

Actually this machine will do the very same movement in a mirrored fashion on the Z W axes.

Is this a railway wheel lathe as was discussed a while ago?

forum.linuxcnc.org/10-advanced-configura...-parallel-axis#73835

More
14 Nov 2017 07:04 #101761 by smalla
Yes, it is a railway wheel lathe. Just didn't know how it is called, and approached the problem on a more generic way.

Thanks for the link, I will read it out.

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds