VFD for spindle

More
09 Nov 2017 12:54 #101547 by Jorgefv
VFD for spindle was created by Jorgefv
HI I'm still a noob but in the process of retrofitting a woodworking cnc router, it is a weeke BP10, I run into a problem with the VFD, that it has completely failed, the machine has 4 motors, 3 are intended for drilling I think and are just on and off and there is a 8Kw 16500 rpm 220V/380V that is controlled with a VFD that is faulty, it shows over current error even when there is nothing connected to it.
I couldnt see the brand or part number because they are in a really tight place.
I think I should buy another VFD.

My question is what kind of VFD do I need?, or I just could use a regular VFD like the ones used on regular motors or there is something special for spindle control?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2017 14:50 #101559 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic VFD for spindle
I don't think there is anything special about a VFD used for spindle controls other than the fact that the often need to be able to output frequencies about 50x higher than what a "normal" motor uses. The drives I've used have all been able to do it. Just be sure to get something rated for the voltage, current and frequency that your spindle needs, and nothing too cheap and crappy.

Sometimes failed VFDs can be easily repaired, by replacing bad caps or rectifiers. It probably is worth your time to pull it out, take it apart and see if you can tell what failed.

More
10 Nov 2017 17:06 #101620 by Jorgefv
Replied by Jorgefv on topic VFD for spindle
I powered the VFD and tried to check it with an oscilloscope but before I could do anything magic smoke escaped, I will still try to fix it but I don't have so much hope now.
I took out the dust hood that was covering the name plate of the motor so I could see more.

it is a emod brand model VFK 63-2-140 4KW 220v on delta and 380 on y configuration it has 16500 rpm.
and also it sais 300Hz
I don't know if that frequency is the nominal maximum minimum or what, as you see I'm really a noob.

I will still try to fix the vfd because a new one will not come cheap, but I would like to know what can I do if fixing it is not possible.

More
12 Nov 2017 11:24 #101688 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic VFD for spindle
Actually, a generic 7.5kW VFD isn't that expensive on eBay. www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171670470975
Are you running the motor/vfd at 220 or 380V?
There are LinuxCNC MODBUS divers for many of these VFDs, how was the existing VFD controlled?

More
15 Nov 2017 14:01 #101831 by Jorgefv
it is 380v the existing vfd was using an analog interface 0-10V, I wanted to use one of the analog outputs from the 7i48
I don't know how to use the modbus but if it is possible I would like to use it I'm using mesa cards I've got the 6i24, 7i44, 7i48, 7i70 and 7i71 everything is working quite well so far.
this one is available locally that may work I ghess I'm thinking on the 11kw version since the price diference betwen the 7.5kw and the 11kw one is really minimal.
www.teq.tn/images/produit/NVF2G.pdf

More
15 Nov 2017 15:01 #101833 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic VFD for spindle
It is probably simplest to stick with the analogue control.

Modbus gives you more info about internal VFD state (current and/or torque for example) but not in realtime.
Analogue voltage control happens in the realtime layer.

More
15 Nov 2017 15:33 #101843 by Jorgefv
thank you, I also don't have any encoder or other feedback from the motor and since is a woodworking machine I don't think I really need it
The machine is not mine but I really want to get it working on the best possible way.
I will just buy the NV2FG which is available locally is a chint brand, I have never used that brand but I think it will work fine, the budget is getting a bit limited now so we need to start working to pay the fixes because the machine needs a functional spindle, it already made some jobs but with the other 3 motors it has but the bit holders are intended for just drilling on the other motors so I fear they may break apart.

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds