Worth continuing??

More
10 Nov 2017 14:22 #101605 by MattSav
Worth continuing?? was created by MattSav
So far my Linux CNC experience can be regarded as poor.

I have the CSS/Feed per rev problem (see turning section but as spindle speed increases feed per rev decreases until the tool starts rubbing).

Linux seems to hang more often than windows (no idea why, suddenly the mouse stop moving and only a power off will get it going).

Randomly, sometimes I can use the shift key for a rapid jog but other times it doesnt work, cant see any reason....

and finally, usually the machines homes fine but sometimes it tries homing in wrong direction. Reboot and it will start working the correct way.

Are these problems usual or have I got some special problems all of my own??

Is Linux CNC reliable enough to use daily (UCCNC has been great, mach3 not so great). I need to get on with making parts/earning money rather than bug fixing at the moment.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2017 16:14 #101616 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic Worth continuing??
It sounds like you have some very unusual problems.
What hardware are you using?

-I don't have any lathes, so have no experience with CSS, but what you describe sounds like a configuration problem.

-This sounds like failing hardware, or a bad installation (corrupt installation media, bad download...) I have never experienced, system stability issues with Linuxcnc.

-New problem to me, but I also don't use that feature often, may be related to above.

-That seem very odd. Possibly a signal quality issue on the dir pins to the drive...

I have had a half dozen cnc routers running Linuxcnc daily in a factory environment for the past 8 years.
Obviously your results can vary.

More
10 Nov 2017 17:15 #101621 by Jorgefv
Replied by Jorgefv on topic Worth continuing??
yep a faulty hardware or bad configuration/installation, I had some problems but I happened to have a faulty hard drive so changing it the machine works perfectly it homes well every time and everything works well, I still have a lot of work to do but I like how well things are working so far.

More
12 Nov 2017 11:38 - 12 Nov 2017 11:41 #101690 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Worth continuing??

Randomly, sometimes I can use the shift key for a rapid jog but other times it doesnt work, cant see any reason....

That is odd. Perhaps linked to keyboard polling and whatever is causing the other system instability problems.
There have been cases where a new keyboard has solved system stability problems, if you have any other keyboard to try, I would.
Also, you might want to look into using MPG jogwheels. They are cheap on eBay and interface on the realtime layer level so can't be affected by user-space and GUI hiccups.

and finally, usually the machines homes fine but sometimes it tries homing in wrong direction. Reboot and it will start working the correct way.

This normally means that, for whatever reason, the system thinks that the homing switch is already triggered and is going straight to the "move off of the switch" move. However, if the home and limit switches are the same thing then this ought to be triggering a limit switch problem before homing.
Is the machine driven by stepper motors or servos?

[Addendum: The advantages I claimed for jogwheels do not apply to USB-interfaced jog pendants. If you have some sort of HID latency problem on the keyboard then a USB pendant would probably have the same problem]
Last edit: 12 Nov 2017 11:41 by andypugh.

More
12 Nov 2017 22:51 #101706 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Worth continuing??
Aside from what others pointed out as very valid sources of problems, if you are using parallel port, you have something wired very wrong, namely grounding and interference, or something powering back to paralel port pins. That will cause all the above mentioned problems.
Quick way of testing is to remove the parallel port connector and test the computer without it. If it works normaly, check the wiring and grounding. If it doesent, change the computer.
As for reliability of Linuxcnc, I had no problems, ever.

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds