Installing just linuxcnc

More
20 Nov 2017 17:32 #102076 by fishtruk
Hi,
I'm not a Unix/Linux person (sorry) but I have to install a special flavor of Linuxcnc for my 7i92 board to work with the Ethernet...to the LPT stepper board.
I've installed the Stretch with success, I still have to get a wireless driver installed, but

I need to install LinuxCNC now. I've installed it before but that was on a 1.2 gig iso file which also installed Linux.

Could someone tell me where I can get LinuxCNC by itself for an install? I would imagine it would Not be an iso file, right?

Thanks!
Nelson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2017 17:51 #102080 by Todd Zuercher
Do you have the Preempt-RT kernel installed for Stretch?

You should be able to add the buildbot Linuxcnc repos for Stretch, then install the binaries from there.
buildbot.linuxcnc.org
buildbot.linuxcnc.org/dists/stretch/
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
20 Nov 2017 17:54 #102081 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Installing just linuxcnc
There is a debian stretch version with preempt kernel that i am using with 7i92, works perfectly so far from USB and installed on a SSD.

www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreempt/

More
20 Nov 2017 18:13 #102084 by fishtruk
Replied by fishtruk on topic Installing just linuxcnc
I believe so. It's a mini-pc and no attempt to install from USB worked.
I burned 3 DVD's and installed from the. As it turns out it just needed the first one.
Did I do this right? Is installing LinuxCNC different from installing in a Windows environ?

More
24 Nov 2017 17:45 - 24 Nov 2017 17:46 #102300 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Installing just linuxcnc
Installing Linux is much like installing Windows.

Much of the time installing LinuxCNC is like installing all of Linux, because LinuxCNC requires a special Linux kernel and for most people it is easier to install from scratch than to install LinuxCNC and the required kernel on top of existing Linux.

But, once you have Linux and the Preempt-RT kernel you can install LinuxCNC just like any other software package.
However, by default the Synaptic Package Manager does not know where to look for the LinuxCNC executable files, so you have to tell it.
The instructions for Stretch are quite a lot like the ones for Wheezy here: linuxcnc.org/docs/html/getting-started/g...th_preempt_rt_kernel

However I prefer to do it all in the GUI. wiki.debian.org/Synaptic#Configuring_Repository has some info. The actual repository you need is listed here: buildbot.linuxcnc.org

For preempt and Stetch use
http://buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ stretch 2.7-rtpreempt
Last edit: 24 Nov 2017 17:46 by andypugh. Reason: Added code tags to the repository URL

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds