Axis “Y” only goes in one direction after upgrading from 2.7 to 2.7.11

More
13 Dec 2017 00:01 #103051 by TrialByFire01
Axis “Y” only goes in one direction after upgrading from 2.7 wheezy to 2.7.11 wheezy
I upgraded to the latest 2.7.11 because I couldn't get the rs485 to control the Huanyang VFD correctly, the upgrade fixed that for the most part.
I now have a new problem with my “Y” axis that is just driving me crazy. It will only move in one direction. I am using a Geckodrive G540 to drive my steppers, here are all of the things I have done to find the cause but am unsuccessful so far....and lost at this point.

1 . Swapped X drive plug with Y drive plug (problem was still on the Y output plug)
2. Took G540 apart and swapped Y axis board for the A axis (problem still follows the Y output position)
3. Put old version linuxcnc folder back in place of new 2.7.11 upgrade folder (problem still persists)
4. Started a new configuration via “stepconf” (problem still persists)
5. When I'm in “stepconf” (problem still persists Y axis moves only one direction no matter which green arrow I push)
6. When I'm in “axis.ngc” the readout shows that the Y axis should be moving back and forth according to both the graphic and the numbers that represent position but Y does not.
7. “axis.ngc” shows that I should be going back and forth in the “DRO” output as well as the hal meter.
8. Checked all homing and limit switches.
There has to be a corrupt file somewhere but I have no idea where to look. Any help would be wonderful as this VFD and spindle instal was my last big hurdle before actually using my cnc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Dec 2017 00:23 #103052 by PCW
Bad parallel port? I would check the Y direction pin on the parallel port with a meter
And if that doesn't work (change voltage when jogging back and forth),
I would try to toggle the pin by hand with halcmd

More
16 Dec 2017 21:55 #103174 by TrialByFire01
Well this embarrassing :( After some troubleshooting and discovering a low voltage on pin 3 when using the ptest.hal, I bought a parallel card thinking my port was bad but it wasn't. Shortly after I upgraded to 2.7.11 I had a power supply failure in the computer and apparently while changing the power supply I inadvertently pulled on the ribbon cable that connects my P port to the DB25 connector just enough to unseat a ground or something. So that is fixed and I have an extra Parallel port card now.

Just a quick question on charge pumps. Do I need to add any code to my hal file before applying the 470ohm resistor fix to my parallel port mentioned in post # 99193 21 Sep 2017 03:28 or is that not necessary in 2.7.11 ?

More
18 Dec 2017 22:59 #103321 by TrialByFire01
CORRECTION Pin 5 was 2.4VDC and did not change state.

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds