MPG over USB ?

More
25 Dec 2017 23:28 #103610 by calvin.d
MPG over USB ? was created by calvin.d
Hello everyone, I am try to see what the options are to get MPG input in over USB. I am using a 7I76e and I am trying to not run a seperate cable from the computer to the controller. I want to build a dedicated control panel with with a touchscreen and I am considering adding an MPG and a few selector switches.

anyone have any thoughts ?

Thank You
Calvin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Dec 2017 09:42 #103624 by tecno
Replied by tecno on topic MPG over USB ?
7i73

More
26 Dec 2017 13:34 #103647 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic MPG over USB ?
There are options to use an MPG pendant with Linuxcnc through a USB port. They do require a driver (hal component) that is specific to that hardware. An example would be an XHG-HB04 pendant (common on ebay). They come in both wireless and wired versions.
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Using_...Wireless_MPG_Pendant.
Remember a USB device is not going to be a real time component. (But that isn't usually a big problem for a HID, example keyboards and mice aren't real time either.)

More
26 Dec 2017 14:57 #103656 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic MPG over USB ?
I will also chime in with the suggestion that a 7i73 in your control panel might be the best solution. Doing that keeps all the buttons and MPGs in th realtime layer, so even if the GUI freezes you can still control the machine.

More
26 Dec 2017 21:26 #103716 by calvin.d
Replied by calvin.d on topic MPG over USB ?
I had wanted to avoid the extra cable of the 7i73 going back to the 7I76E but I do like the idea of keeping everything in the realtime layer.

anyone have any experience with the MPG listed about, I am wondering how smooth of a response the MPG wheel has to the movement of the machine, or if there is a human noticeable lag at all

Thank You
C

More
26 Dec 2017 21:28 #103717 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic MPG over USB ?
I run this on my 7i76e.

Pricey, but a real nice 433 Mhz wireless unit that can be purchased in a version that is 100% compatible with the 7i76e MPG
xhctech.en.alibaba.com/product/607207373...rator_for_FANUC.html

The receiver is a relay box with an external antenna that you just wire in to your control box

Attachments:

More
26 Dec 2017 21:46 #103720 by calvin.d
Replied by calvin.d on topic MPG over USB ?
is is possible to get the 7I73 without the headers attached ?
so I can just solder wires directly onto the board ?

worse case I can always desolder them by hand, just curious

Thank You
C

More
27 Dec 2017 00:39 - 27 Dec 2017 00:40 #103723 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic MPG over USB ?

is is possible to get the 7I73 without the headers attached ?

Probably not, but there are connectors that allow individual wire crimps (and which are easily re-configurable).

uk.rs-online.com/web/c/connectors/pcb-co...rchTerm=harwin%20M20

(don't be distracted by the photos of 2x2 connectors)
Last edit: 27 Dec 2017 00:40 by andypugh.

More
29 Dec 2017 22:57 #103834 by InMyDarkestHour
Replied by InMyDarkestHour on topic MPG over USB ?
If you want to "roll your own"

You may want to have a look at hidcomp.

hidcomp.sourceforge.net/

The only bugbear is the Qt dependencies.....but not such an issue,

I've been testing it on a "mess about machine" and once I have I have the time I'll run it live on the mill.....I have done some basic testing and seems to do what it says.

Or you may want to grab an Arduino Leonardo, Sparkfun ProMicro ( or any of the compatiable device on ebay $8AUD $12AUD) or Teensy ++ 2.0 and experiment with the Open Source LUFA usb stack. Which is the way I'm going with in conjuction with hidcomp. Or you can use hal_input. either will work if you build your device as a HID device. Hidcomp allows for more options, hal_input only allows for 8 LEDs due to a limitation in the linux kernel for keyboard LEDS. My end goal is just to have the usb panel for "setup" purposes. But as always have a physical ESTOP to stop the machine.

Theres a fair bit that can be done via keyboard\joystick creations on a lowcost mcu. If you want to go that way.

I do have some extra inputs on my setup that I can use for real time........BuI'm going to test with USB and if I find I want\need some features to have realtime I'll migrate. So far I have been using the keyboard for basic tasks, but the control panel I'm developing basically employs the same functions with a bit of in built logic in the micro controller.

An STM32 platform maybe better for updating LCD displays due to the higher clock rates. I've found myself picking a few various low cost dev boards to play with.

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds