Remotly streaming in position data and blending path for smooth motion/tracking?

More
16 Jan 2018 10:12 - 16 Jan 2018 10:22 #104543 by cnccircuits
Hi, I am trying to build a scientific instrument using a CNC machine. I have written an application in Python that connects to the LinuxCNCRSH socket and sends MDI commands at regular intervals.

The updates I send to the machine (which are essentially just a bunch of small line segments) is roughly at an interval of ~10Hz, which I was hoping would be high enough so that each axis of the machine would closely track the position of the real-time model in my Python program.

My problem is that the queue starts to pile up and the machine appears to lag behind as it tries to execute commands sitting in the queue. I have tried things like sending G64 with various tolerances but the machine will not maintain a maximum speed and always appears to very quickly stop/start between each line segment (causing it to fall behind).

I was wondering how I can stream positional data into LinuxCNC and have it do it's best to follow the curve along the position updates but also maintain a constant velocity (at least until it catches up to the desired position)?

Thanks for any assistance or advice!
Last edit: 16 Jan 2018 10:22 by cnccircuits.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2018 15:36 #104552 by PCW
It may be better to just use hal for this (perhaps using the limit3 component)
unless you require gcode interpretation

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds