strukture your linuxcnc project files step 1, it saves you time.

More
21 Jan 2018 21:01 - 21 Jan 2018 21:13 #104816 by Grotius
Hi,

I have an option for those who are done with spreading linuxcnc project's over different directory's and places around.

For example now you have :

- bin (for your python file)
- share / linuxcnc (for your glade file)
- config / sim (for your ini, hal, postgui and ... files)

I have :
- one directory for all files.

So how to do this, is not very difficult.

Step 1, change in your linuxcnc file "linuxcnc.py" your directory path's to one place. The file is located in the script's directory.
Advise, first copy the orginal and rename it to linuxcncorginal.py So you can always go back 1 step, if you mesh things up.

Step 2, change in your python project file, for example here gmocappy.py , your path, in my case Grotius directory.
This file is mostly of time located in bin folder.

Step 3, the place of your glade file is already changed in the datadir section in Step 2.

At the end you have one project directory. It saves you much time and frustration when you are working one a project.
See project structure picture, example for gmocappy project :

Also a benefit is, you don't have to use a password all the time to get root priveliges.
This example is made in a Linux run in place version with negative adaptive speed.
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Jan 2018 21:13 by Grotius.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2018 05:55 #104872 by cmorley
I'll just mention that if someone wishes to contribute to linuxcnc they would need to undo this.
Linuxcnc is done in this way to follow (give or take) linux distribution conventions.
While lots of people use the Run-In-Place option if you use the install option then this would break your project.
Of course if you are not contributing then you are free to do whatever is best for you :)

Chris M

More
24 Jan 2018 20:16 #104952 by Grotius
@Cmorley,

Jes, it can be a temponary solution. But saves much time if you are working on a single project.
I am not very experiencend with linux cnc and for me it's relevant to report this future benefit.

I mentioned that Linuxcnc has much work to do tho make this better in relation to windows. especcialy explorer (thunar) in linux without search function is not good. If you will be able to find a file, you are searching a piece in the big hole.

Maybe then it's better to do the project strukture in one directory for all Linuxcnc users. It has nothing to do with the same file names.
You can add 1 character to a directory if you want to. Or change the source code that it will be accepted.

Linuxcnc is done in this way to follow (give or take) linux distribution conventions.

I just give my first linux distrubition to a place in south africa via my website. The person was not able to give 1 euro to
a charity fund. So no problem. He was the first that downloaded the new version with negative adaptive feed.

I tried to get it on the git, but i'ts very diffucult to do that. Maybe you can help me Morley?

Time to create page: 0.216 seconds