Servo motor control with Mesa 8i20 and Mesa 7i76e

More
25 Jan 2018 22:40 #105021 by vmihalca
Hello,

I already have a mesa 7i76e board, for controlling my retrofitted bench lathe. I also have a tamagawa ac servo motor, bought from a flee market from someone who didn't knew what he's selling.
The motor on my lathe is a 1.4kw universal motor with some speed sensor that tries to keep constant speed.
I would like to replace that motor with an ac servo motor. I can find quite cheap servo motors but without controllers.
I recently saw that Mesa 8i20 is again in stock and I'm evaluating buying one of these drives.
Since its the lathe spindle I don't necessarily need to control the position (though it would be nice to be able to stop the spindle in a specific position so that the chuck key is always in the right position)
I only need to keep the constant speed and have the full torque on the entire speed range.
Is this possible with Mesa 8i20?
If i already have a Mesa 7i76e controlling that lathe, what else do I need to have in order to control that Mesa 8i20.
The lathe runs at 220V AC, 50hz that means I would need to convert this to DC for the drive. Can I use a rectifying bridge + capacitor filters to power up the Mesa 8i20 for the motor?

I might be asking stupid questions for some, but I'm just a passioned hobbyist :)

Thx,
Vasi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2018 23:37 #105022 by PCW
Getting this to work depends to some extent on what type of encoder is on the
Tamagawa servo motor (and the motors rating)

More
26 Jan 2018 13:04 #105034 by vmihalca
Do I really need the encoder if I don,t want positional control?
I think its a resolver, looks smth like a smaller motor. It has windings like a motor.

More
26 Jan 2018 17:26 #105051 by PCW
Yes, some kind of encoder is required to be able to commutate the motor

The motor drive needs to know the rotor angle relative to the stator to know which windings to
activate to pull the (permanent magnet) rotor in the desired direction

More
18 Feb 2018 14:08 #106134 by andypugh

Do I really need the encoder if I don,t want positional control?
I think its a resolver, looks smth like a smaller motor. It has windings like a motor.

That could potentially be a tachometer, but that would be unlikely on an AC servo motor (very common on DC motors)
If it has three pairs of wires, and two have the same resistance and one has a different one, then it is a resolver.

Unfortunately you can't interface a Resolver to LinuxCNC without special hardware, The Mesa 7i49 is an option, but an expensive one for a single motor.

The STMBL servo drive would work well, that is controlled by Smart-Serial (just like the 8i20) but has on-board Resolver interfacing. Supply is limited, and awkward, though.

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds