Demo - Exceeds X Y limits Exasperation

More
06 Feb 2018 13:58 #105489 by shortcircuit48
I am new to this but appear to be on an uphill challenge. I had LinuxCNC installed made a file and got it to work along with the demo, so no problems. Unfortunately I partitioned my hard drive, and re-installed Debian and LinuxCNC. Now when I run a demo I get "Exceeds X & Y limits" but you can run anyway. Nothing happens.
I selected a gantry machine and followed through Stepconfig and made a machine setup. Went to launch the machine and it falls over with numerous faults "eg could not insert module usr/realtime3.4-rtai-686-pae"
I have to be doing something simply wrong and would be very grateful for guidance.
Not sure how to attach error file as I cant copy or save. Ready to give up

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2018 20:37 #105503 by shortcircuit48
Hopefully this may help as error indicates "could not open hal_parport.ko" which does not mean a lot to me but will to somebody who can assist.
As program had been working ok is it possible just to reloads LinuxCNC only?
Most grateful for any help as I have come to a dead stop.

More
06 Feb 2018 21:14 #105507 by Todd Zuercher
What version of Debian did you install? Did you use one of the Linuxcnc images, or a regular Debian one?
What does it say when you run uname -a in a terminal window?

Your error message is about exceeding limits usually a simple fix. If there is not a problem with the G-code file (the part fits on the table) the problem is usually that you have not touched off the machine coordinates correctly so that all the moves in the file would be within the machines soft limit area. It will seem simple once you understand how the machine coordinates and their offsets work. (study those parts of the manual)

More
06 Feb 2018 22:03 #105510 by shortcircuit48
Hello,I really appreciate your help

Linux debian 3.4-9-rtai-686-pae #1 SMP PREEMPT Debian 3.4.55-4linuxcnc i686 GNU/Linux

I downloaded Debian from the LinuxCNC site which had the program include.

With exceeding limits I can understand it is my very limited knowledge of the system resulting in the problem and will study maniual.

Still confused as to the problem I have in setting up a gantry machine?

Thanks again. Hamish

More
06 Feb 2018 22:15 #105511 by Todd Zuercher
Setting up a gantry machine in Linuxcnc isn't a completely simple affair. Right now it is probably better to set up a gantry machine with the development branch of Linuxcnc rather than the standard release. That that doing so is going to make setting it up significantly easier, just better results.

If you look around the forums there are numerous long threads where beginners have been coached through the process. I would start by reading through several of those, as well as most of the introductory portions of the Linuxcnc documentation.

More
06 Feb 2018 22:22 #105512 by shortcircuit48
Thanks for your help. Looks like I have jumped to the wrong conclusion and need to do a bit of homework. I had initially followed a good Utube guide on my first attempt and it did work although it suggests I have gone wrong this time. Will study threads on the forum .
Good to know its just me and not the download.
Got the massive manual and having a scan
Thanks again Hamish

More
07 Feb 2018 13:35 #105528 by Todd Zuercher

Setting up a gantry machine in Linuxcnc isn't a completely simple affair. Right now it is probably better to set up a gantry machine with the development branch of Linuxcnc rather than the standard release. That that doing so is going to make setting it up significantly easier, just better results.

If you look around the forums there are numerous long threads where beginners have been coached through the process. I would start by reading through several of those, as well as most of the introductory portions of the Linuxcnc documentation.

I need to proof read better before hitting send.

I meant to say that using Master, is not going to make setting up a gantry machine much if any easier, but the end results should be better than what you can do with the standard release.

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds