Multiple reference positions

More
17 Feb 2018 17:28 #106078 by shipmodeller
I do wood inlays on my CNC machine. There is a long time between jobs where I am waiting for glue to dry before the next machining job. All my jobs require XY to be 0,0. So, when I can put multiple pieces down on the bed. When I zero the first one ( XYZ ) I execute the gcode and the last step, it goes home. I write down on paper what the XYZ numbers were from home position to the 1st piece. I then go to the 2nd piece, write down the offset XYZ from the 1st one..Write that down. So, it might be +10.32, -5.34. When that job is done, I need to reference back to the 1st one so I can do the nth machining operation, so in my case.. I would then do an offset of -10.32, +5.34, which gets me back to the 1st position, and then zero the axis. Do the code. This is a pain, for two pieces, but sometimes I have 10 or more pieces being done at the same time. It would be nice to either have a dropdown list of points, then a button tell me to go there.. I can code, but not sure how to deal with this ...Is there something out there that can do this already? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2018 18:42 #106082 by Tchefter
Hi, is this everytime the same Position?
If so, you can put some MDI-Commands to the HALUI Section in your machine.ini and map this to a Button with Pyvcp Panel.

Greetings

More
17 Feb 2018 18:50 #106084 by shipmodeller
No, it is not... each setup, because of size, is different... I generally never do the same inlays twice.. but to speed up time, I usually have multiple inlays on the table at the same time. So, this would have to be a dynamic solution.. I.E. Press a button, assign current X Y ( possibly z ) to a label.. add to list .. move on. Then list ( or toggle though a list , and execute.. ) I realize there are limitations to what I can do dynamically. And yes, you are right, if it was repetitive, yours would be what I would have done.. but I need a dynamic solution, not a static one,.. Thanks

More
17 Feb 2018 18:53 - 17 Feb 2018 18:53 #106085 by Tchefter
So you can do this also in MDI Mode, or not? (Toogle with F3 / F5)
Every Position you have to write one time will save in this List, also when your PC is off...
Last edit: 17 Feb 2018 18:53 by Tchefter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shipmodeller

More
17 Feb 2018 19:04 #106087 by FariaAl
have you looked here?
i have similar situations once in a while and this works for me
Coordinate Systems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tchefter, shipmodeller

More
17 Feb 2018 19:14 #106089 by shipmodeller
Yes, duh! That should do the trick... Not as neat as a button, yes... that will work thanks!

More
17 Feb 2018 19:16 #106090 by shipmodeller
Yes, I use this method today... but it isn't a good solution .. as it will get me back, but has problems. It isn't foolproof. ( Or old age proof! )

More
17 Feb 2018 19:16 #106091 by Tchefter

Yes, duh! That should do the trick... Not as neat as a button, yes... that will work thanks!

Dont let me die stupid, which one helps?

More
17 Feb 2018 19:23 - 17 Feb 2018 19:43 #106092 by shipmodeller
The Coordinate System method is the true answer here. Thanks again.. sorry for the cloudy response. I found a good quasi solution and description here :

forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxcnc-q...ates-and-cycle-start
Last edit: 17 Feb 2018 19:43 by shipmodeller.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tchefter

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds