Linux newbie assistance/advice needed

More
25 Feb 2018 09:33 #106473 by dataguy
Hi
I am getting a new mill which I will make CNC capable. I'm pretty ok with the systems/steppers/ etc and plan to use a parallel port card in an older desktop pc to run the mill. This will be dedicated to just that task only.

I can produce the designs I need to machine using spaceclaim (RS free mechanical version) on windows 7. I then need to transfer those files to the linuxcnc machine which will hopefully spit out the gcode needed and then drive the mill.

This is where my knowledge gets a bit flakey. 2 dims drawings should be OK as I can use the DFX format. But its the three dimensional stuff that is starting to look a bit tricky. spaceclaim will produce amf, dxf, obj, pdf facets, stl, sketchup, xaml, jpeg, and ping. I am reluctant to use stl because of the facet issues.

So I need two pieces of advice. Firstly as to which format will give me a finish with the least granularity. Secondly, which linux software to use to convert the said file to gcode.

Many thanks for your time

Best Regards

dataguy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2018 10:19 #106476 by raglanlittlejohn
Cambam will take dxf or stl files. It will then produce the g code for you. I've heard Fusion 360 will do the drawing and produce the g code, but have not used it. stl drawings would be used to produce 3d profiling in Cambam. This is well suited to the sort of complex shapes produced with cnc routers. Cambam can take dxf drawings, then produce 3d parts. You have to put in the z values as needed. I think this is called 2.5D machining. I think this 2.5D machining is best for work on the milling machine. You can do both types on one part with Cambam if needed.
I've used Designspark Mechanical, and get on very well with it. My version only exports dxf and stl, but I find it good enough for hobby work.

More
01 Mar 2018 13:58 #106802 by andypugh

Hi
I can produce the designs I need to machine using spaceclaim (RS free mechanical version) on windows 7. I then need to transfer those files to the linuxcnc machine which will hopefully spit out the gcode needed and then drive the mill.

I think you have a slight misconception of the sequence.

LinuxCNC consumes G-code, it doesn't create it.

If Spaceclaim doesn't create G-code (does it have "CAM" features?) then you will need a second tool.

You should consider using Fusion360 for both design and G-code generation. It has top-class toolpath generation and is just as free as Spaceclaim.

More
01 Mar 2018 18:06 - 01 Mar 2018 18:06 #106828 by JohnnyCNC
If you look into Fusion 360 there are great videos on YouTube by Lars Christensen, and John Saunders of NYC CNC.

John
Last edit: 01 Mar 2018 18:06 by JohnnyCNC.

More
02 Mar 2018 09:27 #106836 by dataguy
Hi

Fusion 360 is not free. At least not for me. I am not a student, I am retired, and although I have done my stint at lecturing this still does not qualify me. 30 days free, yes.

I made no misunderstanding about the gcode generation process. I just figured that a linux program could generate the gcode, and then linux CNC could run it. Gcode could be generated by Pyecam or DXF2GCODE to name a couple - not sure how good they are though.

Whilst its possible to generate the gcode on my desktop machine this would have to be a windows program, not sure whats good or free/low cost.

Best Regards

dataguy

More
02 Mar 2018 10:18 #106838 by andypugh
Fusion360 is free for one year as a "Startup" (company making less than $100k per year) or enthusiast.
You can renew this one-year free subscription indefinitely (currently, this could, of course, change)

I actually have a full Inventor license, but end up going to Fusion for CAM quite often as it is a bit more advanced in Fusion than the free CAM in full Inventor.

More
02 Mar 2018 11:59 #106841 by dataguy
@andypugh
You are quite correct. I looked through their site and sadly came to the conclusion I would be 30 day limited or spend a lot. However, buried in the legal page under startups there it is. I think I thought it wouldn't apply because I am not a startup.

Many thanks for that very good advice. I will sign on and download a copy. If this is cloud based will it work without the internet ?

Best Regards

dataguy

More
02 Mar 2018 12:06 #106842 by Clive S

@andypugh
You are quite correct. I looked through their site and sadly came to the conclusion I would be 30 day limited or spend a lot. However, buried in the legal page under startups there it is. I think I thought it wouldn't apply because I am not a startup.

Many thanks for that very good advice. I will sign on and download a copy. If this is cloud based will it work without the internet ?

Best Regards

dataguy

If it helps this guy is one of the best for tutorials with Fusion360 www.youtube.com/user/cadcamstuff

More
02 Mar 2018 16:01 #106851 by andypugh

If this is cloud based will it work without the internet ?

Data import/export is cloud based, but it can work offline with its own native format files, and can save G-code locally (or to the network, which is probably more useful)

More
02 Mar 2018 16:20 #106853 by dataguy
@andypugh
I've installed the software and the design aspect is very similar to spaceclaim, in some ways simpler and more intuitive.

Checked the first of his two videos and they are very good. It always looks easy when someone else does it.

Thanks for your hep in this, I think this is certainly a good way to go.

Best Regards

dataguy

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds