Internationalization: The Spanish affair

More
08 Mar 2018 23:58 #107133 by abu
1343/5000
Hi to the whole team.
This is my very first post. It will not be the last.
First, but very important: I can understand English and read it without a dictionary. The bad news is that I do not write it or speak it ... well ... just a little. The Spaniards and the languages ​​are water and oil. Anyway ... I do not speak Thai B)
Google Translate is my biggest friend :)

I have successfully downloaded and compiled the master branch from git. I have installed all the dependencies that I need and my RIP installation works correctly.

Now, the issue.
The current translation attempt (internationalization is a better word) of LinuxCNC to Spanish is just an "attempt". Horrible, incomplete, erroneous .......... and apparently abandoned. I want to solve that situation.

I'm using poedit, a .po file editor, and the "make" way. I already have more than 30% translated. Samples attached.

I have two doubts:
Should I follow the original keyboard shortcuts? In English, many words with a shortcut letter have no equivalent word (with the same letter) in Spanish.

Second. Are some text hard-coded?. For example, the instance of the word "CURRENT:" in Configuration Selector bar title, does not appear in my poedit list. What is the way to do it in this case? Report to developers? Rewrite sources and recompile? I don't know.

I agree that the correct site for this matter is the developer IRC or the mailing list, but I would like to have more work done.

Thanks for your patience.
Best regards
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: aer73

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2018 10:39 #107142 by andypugh

Should I follow the original keyboard shortcuts? In English, many words with a shortcut letter have no equivalent word (with the same letter) in Spanish.

I think you might need to use the original shortcuts, as they are hard-coded:
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/master...cripts/axis.py#L2977
I have had a quick Google and didn't find if there was a way round this.

Second. Are some text hard-coded?. For example, the instance of the word "CURRENT:" in Configuration Selector bar title, does not appear in my poedit list. What is the way to do it in this case? Report to developers? Rewrite sources and recompile?

You can make the required changes and then make a pull-request on Github or email a patch file to the developers mailing list:
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/code/contribu...r_ways_to_contribute

You would need to do one of these things to submit your updated .po files anyway.
(But it would probably be best to keep them as two separate commits)
The following user(s) said Thank You: abu

More
10 Mar 2018 16:11 - 10 Mar 2018 16:14 #107188 by abu
Thanks for your words, Andy

It seems that Python is a must for the current linuxcnc user interfaces.
I have worked a lot with microcontrollers. Assembler and C / C++ are very familiar to me but I never learned python.
Anyway, it seems a very friendly language, it is very well documented and the number of libraries is impressive (including third-party libraries)
I continue with the translation work. Next stop ... developer team

Thanks again and good track days ;)
Last edit: 10 Mar 2018 16:14 by abu.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aer73

More
10 Mar 2018 20:55 #107196 by rodw
  • Assembler and C / C++ are very familiar to me but I never learned python.
    Anyway, it seems a very friendly language, it is very well documented and the number of libraries is impressive (including third-party libraries)

Google has a very good Python tutorial (in English) based on one of their internal courses. It contains the coursework and a number of videos.
    developers.google.com/edu/python/
    I'm quite sure I did not watch it all (because I was impatient to get stuff done), but it was very helpful to me with a similar coding background to you.

More
11 Mar 2018 20:30 #107228 by abu

Google has a very good Python tutorial (in English) based on one of their internal courses. It contains the coursework and a number of videos.
    developers.google.com/edu/python/
    I'm quite sure I did not watch it all (because I was impatient to get stuff done), but it was very helpful to me with a similar coding background to you.

Thanks for your link, Rod

At the moment I am studying the official documentation (www.python.org) I like the genuine docs. Longest but deepest learning curve.

An interesting detail: Jeff Epler appears in Python credits :)

Very grateful anyway

More
12 Mar 2018 20:33 - 12 Mar 2018 20:40 #107255 by Grotius
@Hi Abu,

It's to you. Maybe you can make a spanisch comment. But when your translation is merged into official version, you can look at polish version's to compare what the possibilities are.

Are some text hard-coded?
Yes, sure, a option is to use a variable function for translating, but i think if spanish learn a little bit englisch it's also good for them.
Last edit: 12 Mar 2018 20:40 by Grotius.

More
13 Mar 2018 17:57 #107286 by newbynobi
Hallo Abu,

the items you mentioned was exactly the reason, why i separated the translation files from gmoccapy gui from the huge linuxcnc.po file. So i am able to react more flexible for translation wishes. I actually mantain the spanish, english and german localisations of that gui, but i am German and Spanish is just a secondary knowladge. So if you like to take a look at that part of my work, i would appreciate that.

Norbert

More
13 Mar 2018 20:06 - 13 Mar 2018 20:09 #107295 by abu

Hallo Abu,

....... So if you like to take a look at that part of my work, i would appreciate that.

Norbert

Sure, Norbert!

Gmoccapy will not be an "outlaw" for me, but first I want to have enough knowledge of the "Python point of view" on LinuxCNC.
My progress is reasonably fast: the basics are learned (well ... I think :blush: ) and I begin to understand the Python/C API
The work in gmoccapy will be done in its right moment, I hope ;)
Last edit: 13 Mar 2018 20:09 by abu.

More
18 Mar 2018 12:58 #107488 by aer73
Nice to hear you are working in get a better Spanish translation(I´m Spanish too). :)
If you need some help do not hesitate to tell me. ;)

kind regards.

PD: Muchas gracias por tu esfuerzo.
Un saludo.

More
21 Mar 2018 23:45 - 21 Mar 2018 23:51 #107704 by abu
Hi, aer73

The probability theory tells me that the probability of winning a bet to get an ace in a roll of dice is less than the probability that a "73" and "Tomas" and "Spanish" and "interested in CNC" will not is related to Tomy73 ............. I'm wrong?:whistle:
Last edit: 21 Mar 2018 23:51 by abu.

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds