Python linuxcnc.stat() showing no result.

More
04 May 2018 07:25 #110172 by kpj10
Short:
The other day i was making a python script to see currently opend ngc file, in case if I'm running a global LinuxCNC installation i can read the current file, but for a local installation of LinuxCNC I'm getting an empty string. What could be the problem.

Long:
On my laptop i have a simulation package of LinuxCNC installed. The installation was done pulling the LinuxCNC from GitHub and making a deb package, as i wanted to make a system wide installation.

Often there are other branches of LinuxCNC that solves my problem, hence I download them and make a local installation on my laptop.

To start a global installed file i directly type linuxcnc in my shell script.
Whereas for a local installation i have to cd to the location and then to script folder then i type ./linuxcnc. Everytime things work fine.

The other day i was making a python script to see currently opend ngc file, in case if I'm running a global LinuxCNC installation i can read the current file, but for a local installation of LinuxCNC I'm getting an empty string. What could be the problem.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kunal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2018 12:37 #110431 by andypugh
Can you explain what you mean by "global" and "local"?

More
09 May 2018 13:01 #110433 by Todd Zuercher
Just a guess from the context, "global"=standard full installation of Linuxcnc, "local"=RIP (run in place).
Is that what you mean Kunal?

More
09 May 2018 13:35 #110436 by kpj10
Yep. Global is standard installation, and local is RIP.

More
15 May 2018 12:24 #110757 by andypugh
Are you starting your Python code from the same environment (ie command line terminal) as LinuxCNC?

More
15 May 2018 12:48 #110762 by kpj10
I start LinuxCNC from a terminal window, then again i open a new terminal window type python there i import the linuxcnc python module and do what I want to do.

For the timing i have made a glade app which i start with my LinuxCNC configuration.

In that app when I try to check current position just after homing, i'm getting 3.58... for x and y though its x and y are at 0. But when i make a move i get correct position.

More
15 May 2018 13:26 #110765 by andypugh
I think you need to run the rip-environment script in the second window prior to opening python.
Or use linuxcnc& in the first window to get back to the command line after launching linuxcnc (probably better)
The following user(s) said Thank You: kpj10

More
15 May 2018 13:38 #110767 by kpj10
I'll try out your second suggestion, because the first suggested solution is the approach i follow.

Time to create page: 1.873 seconds